How bad is Optimus Support Right Now?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JMerithew

How bad is Optimus Support Right Now?

Post by JMerithew »

Ok, so let me start with how I ended up in this situation. I've been without a computer for about 6 months now. About a month ago I started looking into purchasing one, and also made the decision that I would finally like to make the switch to Linux. With the current addition of Steam I can get my Indie game/ Source Engine game fix without having to use Windows. When I first started looking into computers I was planning on a desktop, and my research led me to the conclusion that an Nvidia graphics card would be a better choice than ATI from a driver standpoint. About a week ago I made the decision to go with a laptop instead, due to the small 1 bedroom apartment my girlfriend and I share. With a laptop I have no real need to purchase a desk. So when I chose my laptop, I assumed (shame on me, I know :-() that the driver situation was the same for laptops...

My budget was $700. The good news is I found quite a good deal on a Lenovo G780 with 6 gigs of ram, an i7, and an Nvidia 635m. I really don't think I could get anything better for the price. The bad news is it's Optimus. Since I ordered it I was looking into more detail on installing Linux Mint onto this particular machine, and that's when I learned about the Optimus issues for the first time.

I've looked into it, and I know about the Bumblee fix, but the impression I got is that it can cause a lot of crashes and some pretty poor frame rates. I also stumbled upon an article talking about the "Reverse Optimus" solution, but haven't been able to find how it works for people. I guess my question is is the Optimus situation at a point where it's fairly usable or should I stick with the preinstalled copy of Windows 8 (*shudder*), until things get a little better. I know one of the big things with Linux is encountering problems and finding ways to overcome them, but with the Optimus situation it seems like there's only so much a user can do until Nvidia makes some improvements of their own.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: How bad is Optimus Support Right Now?

Post by bimsebasse »

I have Bumblebee installed and it works perfectly in with my Nvidia Optimus. I haven't tried switching graphics for Steam but here are people to guide you through: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/LinuxOptimus

Don't wait around for an official Optimus driver for Linux,
JMerithew

Re: How bad is Optimus Support Right Now?

Post by JMerithew »

bimsebasse wrote:I have Bumblebee installed and it works perfectly in with my Nvidia Optimus. I haven't tried switching graphics for Steam but here are people to guide you through: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/LinuxOptimus

Don't wait around for an official Optimus driver for Linux,
Ok, the only non-steam game I'm considering playing is World of Wacraft. There's no Linux client yet unfortunately so I'd have to use Wine for now. Thankfully it looks like it runs pretty well through Wine, and it seems very likely that Blizzard will release a native client this year

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”