The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ukbrian

Re: The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Post by ukbrian »

Talking about panels these are mine and I prefer 4.8 as I think the columns option in 4.10 is a work in progress.

Above the dotted separator are the windows button and below are 3 custom menus that live in a folder on my data partition with a sym link to "/home/ukbrian/menus" so all the OS's on my machine use the same menus. If anyone is interested I'll upload a snapshot of sr1 with a custom menu but I think I'm the only one treading this path.

What I'm doing with custom menus can be done by adding a launcher to the panel and adding the items but you have to do it every time you do a fresh install whereas I've been using the same menus for 2 years just by adding a menu to the panel and pointing at the menu I want.

Xfce 4.6 http://lin.me.uk/sr1/pics/xfce4-6_01.jpeg
Xfce 4.8 http://lin.me.uk/sr1/pics/xfce4-8_01.png
Xfce 4.10 http://lin.me.uk/sr1/pics/xfce4-10_01.png
Xfce 4.10 with 2 columns but I don't like the small,half width icons for the menus http://lin.me.uk/sr1/pics/xfce4-10_02.png

Is there any chance or a way of having/installing 4.8.

Edit
Adding anim of custom menus
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

ukbrian wrote:Is there any chance or a way of having/installing 4.8.
Making the unofficial LMDE Xfce was a daunting task, so I'm afraid a DE downgrade is not on my todo list.
I like your experiments with the panel, though. It looks really good.
widget

Post by widget »

@ukbrian
I like the panel on the right. Have done that myself a time or two.

I like mine on top better though. I "stack" my launchers too. Used to use gnome and it took 2 panels to do what I can do with one with Xfce.

I am not using any of the added functionality in the 4.10 panel. You don't have to have more than 1 row. With one row the thing is the same as the 4.8 panel.

Having used multiple gnome panels (2) I can see why folks may like the rows option. You just don't need all that room though if you stack your launchers.

I have 8 that I use. Most of them are rarely used. 3 contain just about everything I normally need to have 6 workstations populated with different projects (right now I am lazy and there are only 5 in use).
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

@widget
I started using the launchers in the panel but quickly got tired of having to build them with each fresh install and noticed that xfce unlike the other desktops allowed you to have more than one menu so I ended up creating my own nearly 2 years ago and I've been using them ever since, a perfect example of write once, use many times. :D also the menu folder is on my data partition so all the OS's on my machine use the same menus so easy maintenance.

You might be interested in this video of creating a menu from scratch, the video is compressed with xz from 173 MB to 53 MB but renamed to zip as firefox handles zip files better and they uncompress without changing the extension.

There is a menu editor GUI written in python I think could be tweaked to edit them but they really aren't difficult to edit.

edit
Video was 173 MB
zipped was 144 MB
xz was 50 MB

edit suspected virus links removed
Last edited by ukbrian on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perduta

Post by perduta »

ukbrian wrote:@widget
I started using the launchers in the panel but quickly got tired of having to build them with each fresh install and noticed that xfce unlike the other desktops allowed you to have more than one menu so I ended up creating my own nearly 2 years ago and I've been using them ever since, a perfect example of write once, use many times. :D also the menu folder is on my data partition so all the OS's on my machine use the same menus so easy maintenance.
This interests me too as one of the biggest time wasters for me has been having to set everything up again with a new release and when Unity was released on Ubuntu it wasn't a good time to be forced into learning a new system once again. Even the novelty of novelties wears thin after a while.
ukbrian wrote: You might be interested in this video of creating a menu from scratch, the video is compressed with xz from 173 MB to 53 MB but renamed to zip as firefox handles zip files better and they uncompress without changing the extension.
edit: potential virus links removed
Can you not upload them to youtube?
It would make these ideas much more accessible to the whole community.
Also I am very wary of downloading stuff as I have had a lot of problems with spyware over the years.
Last edited by perduta on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

I had to remove my 64bit install due to system starting to get "laggy" and slow after the ram usage got up around the 50% mark. Started seeing graphic artifacts when dragging windows around. I am currently back on my SolusOS install and I do not see these same issues. As of this posting the CUP's are at 65% and humming along nicely with none of the mentioned symptoms.

Code: Select all

kevin@kww-tech ~ $ inxi -C
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2120 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2120 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
kevin@kww-tech ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: nVidia G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] X.Org: 1.10.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 8400 GS/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.18
kevin@kww-tech ~ $ inxi -I
Info:      Processes: 167 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 10458.0/15990.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5 
Please let me know if you need any more hardware info.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

kwisher wrote:I had to remove my 64bit install due to system starting to get "laggy" and slow after the ram usage got up around the 50% mark. Started seeing graphic artifacts when dragging windows around. I am currently back on my SolusOS install and I do not see these same issues. As of this posting the CUP's are at 65% and humming along nicely with none of the mentioned symptoms.

Graphics:  Card: nVidia G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] X.Org: 1.10.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
Info:      Processes: 167 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 10458.0/15990.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5 
Thanks, kwisher, but now that you've gone over to the dark side ;) it'll be difficult to track down the cause of your increased ram and cpu usage. Pity, because they can be very interesting...
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Schoelje wrote:
kwisher wrote:I had to remove my 64bit install due to system starting to get "laggy" and slow after the ram usage got up around the 50% mark. Started seeing graphic artifacts when dragging windows around. I am currently back on my SolusOS install and I do not see these same issues. As of this posting the CUP's are at 65% and humming along nicely with none of the mentioned symptoms.

Thanks, kwisher, but now that you've gone over to the dark side ;) it'll be difficult to track down the cause of your increased ram and cpu usage. Pity, because they can be very interesting...
Sorry, but this is my machine at my 9 to 5. I shouldn't have been experimenting with a new distro anyways but when I seen the release of this XFCE spin I couldn't resist. :D
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Schoelje wrote:

I don't believe the problem was related to a memory leak or such. The issue would appear as I used more resources. I always keep one Win-7 VM running at all times. Firefox is running with at least 6-8 tabs open. I have Remmina open connected to at least 3-4 Windows servers. With these apps running the cpu usage usually is around 45%. When I start another VM the cpu usage would usually be around 65% and this is when the sluggish behavior and the graphics issue would happen.

Sorry I did not think to post this issue earlier while it was running.
dbVU

Post by dbVU »

Hi All,
I've been following this project from the start and I've finally got a chance to try out the live disk! It all works very nicely and I want to thank everyone for all the work put into this release. I have one problem, I can't seem to connect wirelessly. WICD
shows my network and I put in the correct pass key for WPA2 account and a guest account but it bounces back incorrect password. Any ideas?
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

dbVU,

Did you try one of the other encryption types? In my install there is a WPA2-LEAP and WPA2-PEAP. I had to try a few different encryption types before my password was accepted.

Just a thought,

Matt
dbVU

Post by dbVU »

Hi,
Got connected on my Netgear-5G channel not sure why, I tried this several times but it finally took. All the internet programs are working great!
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

dbVU wrote:Hi,
Got connected on my Netgear-5G channel not sure why, I tried this several times but it finally took. All the internet programs are working great!
First, welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
I'm happy you like the unofficial LMDE Xfce and that you got your issue resolved.
Don't hesitate to come back here if you have any questions.
dbVU

Post by dbVU »

Thanks Schoelje and Matt. I did try the different WPA2 types and it was the default that worked.
Dave
wizard97_4

Post by wizard97_4 »

Hi all,

One more happy (French) user here, great job Schoelje (already told you in PM last time) and thanks to all of you for your help :)

What do you think about MenuLibre? (https://launchpad.net/menulibre)
One very little thing that I noticed on my system (only mine ?), I can't set elementary xubuntu dark icons, not important to me, I use Faenza ones.
Last edited by wizard97_4 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

wizard97_4 wrote:Hi all,

One more happy (French) user here, great job Schoelje (already told you in PM last time) and thanks to all of you for helping :)

What do you think about MenuLibre? (https://launchpad.net/menulibre)
One very little thing that I noticed on my system (only mine ?), I can't set elementary xubuntu dark icons, not important to me, I use Faenza ones.
Hi wizard97_4, welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
I'm glad you like the unofficial LMDE Xfce.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the xubuntu dark icons, but because you already stated you're using Faenza's it's not that big a problem.
cpatrick08

The unofficial LMDE Xfce UP6 SR1

Post by cpatrick08 »

Could make a unofficial LMDE version of LXDE that we could download and install?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

cpatrick08 wrote:Could make a unofficial LMDE version of LXDE that we could download and install?
I'm sorry, that's not in the planning.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

cpatrick08 wrote:Could make a unofficial LMDE version of LXDE that we could download and install?
cpatrick08, I can across this post the other day for an unofficial LMDE LXDE: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=125764.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

Matt267 wrote:
cpatrick08, I can across this post the other day for an unofficial LMDE LXDE: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&t=125764.
Thanks but that is for Linux Mint 13 not LMDE

Return to “Chat about Linux”