It's nice to be back in Mint!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smudgeon

It's nice to be back in Mint!

Post by smudgeon »

Last week, I decided to give Fedora 18 + KDE a go. I can't remember my reasons why, but I know they were good enough for me at the time :P

Everything was going fine, until some odd error messages started to come up: kernel errors caused by my wifi for the first few days, but as I'm not an experienced Linux user, I reported the bug using the built-in bug-reporting. It didn't seem to be causing any issues for me using my wifi or the OS, so I just figured I'd keep going until the bug was resolved and I could fix it (or get the update, more like).

Good theory, but then when i tried to fire up GIMP for the first time a few days after, I got another kernel error. Then...another. And another. Then the bug reporting software stopped working! A few other things started to sort of go belly-up, so I decided it was time to come back to the only distro that has treated me - as a n00b who just wants something that works - nicely: MINT.

Crikey, you'd think after my experiments with , openSUSE, Gentoo, Debian, BSD, Ubuntu, CentOS, etc. I'd just appreciate that Mint is the best fit for me. Nope, I had to go and install a whole new distro over the top. And, one that requires probably a little more in the skills department than I have, or have the time to learn.

Having said that, I thought KDE was quite a nice - if hungry - environment to work in (I may even bring it in alongside Cinnamon & Xfce). And you know, I was quite happy with Fedora until the wheels started to fall off.

Just thought I'd mention this for two reasons:
1) I promise to never cheat on Mint again again again :)
2) This is the strength of Linux: the choice to install a new OS with no financial cost, and if it isn't for you, there's always another distro out there to try. Or, go back to Mint.

Anyone else had less than satisfactory experiences with other distros, and kept coming back to Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: It's nice to be back in Mint!

Post by Wolfen69 »

I remember going through my distro hopping days. I tried an ungodly amount of distros over the years. I would always have my main install of a Debian variant, but would use other hard drives for testing. Guess what? Nothing beats the Debian Family of Linux. Others may wish to argue otherwise, but after years of testing on numerous configurations, I'm forced to come to that conclusion. The stability and amount of software available is unmatched by any other linux.

My distro hopping days are now over and I've settled into Ubuntu for the long haul. (nothing against mint, mind you) I've lost the urge to try everything under the sun and just want to use my computer.
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

This sounds familiar. :) Tried so many other distributions including red hat and slackware based distros. Nothing beats debian based distros. In particular, Ubuntu based distros.
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

mfluder wrote:This sounds familiar. :) Tried so many other distributions including red hat and slackware based distros. Nothing beats debian based distros. In particular, Ubuntu based distros.
Maybe that's why my company, Kroger, (you may have heard of them) uses Debian in every store. It just works. Mind you, the computers are older than dirt and could use an upgrade, but they rarely have problems.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"I thought KDE was quite a nice - if hungry - environment to work in "
Hmmm my Cinnamon 14 came to desktop startup state at around the 550-625mb range.
Mint 14 KDE backport to 4.10 came in around 460-465mb. Also KDE seemed much snappier than Cinnamon 14 on opening closing apps.
Faster file manager.

Don't get what people are saying about KDE being bloated?

Glad you came back to Mint and are forgiven :P
smudgeon

Post by smudgeon »

KDE seemed quite sluggish on Fedora 18, to me - but then, as I mentioned above, I was having other issues which might have been causing that sluggishness. No such problems on Mint 14, KDE even loads up a touch quicker from login than Cinnamon!

Next up, I'm going to see if I can have FreeBSD installed and playing nicely alongside Mint. Just because I've come back to Mint, doesn't mean I can't have both my girls living under one roof :P
AnonKS

Post by AnonKS »

I'm still in the hopping phase but I always have an installation of Ubuntu or mint, and always have an installation of arch. Between Debian based distros and arch, you just can't go wrong. Oh and an installation of LSD gnu/Linux is always installed in a virtual box until we get the bugs worked out (although we have come to a stable release) it's still in beta.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Chat about Linux”