How to install Emerald window manager in Mint 13 (Mate,KDE,)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Jetro

Re: How to install Emerald window manager in Mint 13 (Mate,K

Post by Jetro »

If you don't mind me asking, why is it so complicated to install Emerald? Is it discontinued? I remember it being easily grabbable from Synaptic before. Now it doesn't turn up, and you can't even add a simple ppa to get it? Oh well. I haven't tried the big guide yet, but I will soon. :)
Vifsorbier

Post by Vifsorbier »

Thanks a lot for this guide, I finally have compiz working well with mate
Same remark as above, why is it so complicated to install Emerald ?
DarthBear

Post by DarthBear »

im running linux Mint 14 KDE and i tried to follow these directions but whenever i try to run the ./autogen.sh command i get this
Can't exec "libtoolize": No such file or directory at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 195.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 195.
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --no-force
engines/Makefile.am:37: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
engines/Makefile.am:37: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `LT_INIT'
engines/Makefile.am:37: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
engines/Makefile.am:37: If `LT_INIT' is in `configure.ac', make sure
engines/Makefile.am:37: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
libengine/Makefile.am:8: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
libengine/Makefile.am:8: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `LT_INIT'
libengine/Makefile.am:8: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
libengine/Makefile.am:8: If `LT_INIT' is in `configure.ac', make sure
libengine/Makefile.am:8: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

so i cant make or install it so is there a set of directions to do this in mint 14 kde or how do i proceed?
bu99zy

Post by bu99zy »

Apologies for my delayed reply, I've moved on from the Ubuntu based Mint distros to Debian based ... LMDE so I don't have the hassle of reinstalling every 6 months.
DarthBear wrote:im running linux Mint 14 KDE and i tried to follow these directions but whenever i try to run the ./autogen.sh command i get this
Can't exec "libtoolize": No such file or directory at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 195.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 195.
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --no-force
engines/Makefile.am:37: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
engines/Makefile.am:37: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `LT_INIT'
engines/Makefile.am:37: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
engines/Makefile.am:37: If `LT_INIT' is in `configure.ac', make sure
engines/Makefile.am:37: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
libengine/Makefile.am:8: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
libengine/Makefile.am:8: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `LT_INIT'
libengine/Makefile.am:8: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
libengine/Makefile.am:8: If `LT_INIT' is in `configure.ac', make sure
libengine/Makefile.am:8: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

so i cant make or install it so is there a set of directions to do this in mint 14 kde or how do i proceed?
Just a quick guess from the output error. Is libtool installed on your system? Maybe it was installed in Mint 13 but not in 14.
Jetro wrote:If you don't mind me asking, why is it so complicated to install Emerald? Is it discontinued? I remember it being easily grabbable from Synaptic before. Now it doesn't turn up, and you can't even add a simple ppa to get it? Oh well. I haven't tried the big guide yet, but I will soon. :)
Vifsorbier wrote:Thanks a lot for this guide, I finally have compiz working well with mate
Same remark as above, why is it so complicated to install Emerald ?
I think maybe its because none of the main desktop environments use it. KDE has its own very similar KWin window manager. Compiz / Emerald is not compatible with Gnome3 or Cinnamon. XCFE & LXDE users usually want a fast system so Compiz / Emerald is too much bloat. Unity uses its own, which only really leaves the Gnome2 fork , Mate, and you can install Compiz and use the default window decoration on Mate. So like the old saying goes ... use it or lose it.
ChristofferHN

Post by ChristofferHN »

How do you install Emerald in Linux Mint 16 "Petra" KDE nowdays?

Return to “Tutorials”