Start Up Page

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dr_engineer_phd

Start Up Page

Post by dr_engineer_phd »

After start up there is the "Welcome to Linux Mint" box.
Release: 13 (maya)
Edition: MATE 64-bit

When I select a topic the info box freezes and cannot be closed. Have to re-boot. But if I don't select a topic I can close the box and go forward.
Also, What version of Google Chrome should I use?
This be my very first Linux experience. I installed it on a DELL Latitude D531 and upgraded the RAM to it's max of 4GB.
Thanks,
Michael
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Start Up Page

Post by passerby »

Do you mean Google Chrome vs Chromium, or the stable, beta, etc. versions of Chrome?
Unless you enjoy beta testing or are a developer working on stuff for the browser, I suggest google-chrome-stable.

For the welcome box, try closing it, then opening a terminal and typing in "mintwelcome".
This should open the welcome box. When you make this one freeze you should get output on the terminal which gives more info about the problem.
dr_engineer_phd

Chromium was not a option on the Chrome drop down menu.
passerby

Post by passerby »

I'll take it you meant stable vs the alternatives then. Chromium is the browser Google Chrome is based off.
Go with the stable one, IMO. If you aren't developing for the browser or beta testing you're usually better off sticking with stable.
dr_engineer_phd

Hey passerby,
The opening a terminal and typing in "mintwelcome" solved the problem. Thanks!

I m still ignorant as to what google chrome is suspose to do and what version to use if I do use it.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Google Chrome is a web browser. You can use it instead of Firefox or whichever browser you're currently surfing the web with.
If you're unsure, go with the regular (stable) version.
dr_engineer_phd

got it. thanks passerby

Return to “Beginner Questions”