Can't Shutdown! Shutdown followed by immediate reboot

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drink_More_Seltzer

Can't Shutdown! Shutdown followed by immediate reboot

Post by Drink_More_Seltzer »

Hi, this is my first post to this forum. I recently started running LM14 w/ mate on a lenovo x230. It's been mostly postive, with a few errors here and there, but this is a new one, and seems a little more critical.

The problem is this: shutdowns, both using the GUI shutdown menu and command line "sudo shutdown now" lead to a shutdown followed by an immediate reboot. This plays out a little differently than a purposeful reboot, as the computer seems to shutdown (the fan clicks off), but the computer will not stay shut down.

The shutdown screen does display errors, but these errors are not new, while this boot problem is. I've made no major setting changes to the computer (of which I am aware) that may have brought on this problem.

Hopefully I've provided enough information to get the ball rolling, let me know what else I can provide that might help to get to the bottom of this problem.

--Edit/Added--

If I simply run "sudo halt" to halt the system there is no reboot, it just halts and remains on the console. This did, however, allow me to take a picture of the errors I am seeing.

http://i.imgur.com/HISDo0K.jpg

I appologize for the picture, I've been unable to locate the logfile with shutdown errors. The eth0 errors have been occurring sporadically, but I haven't noticed any lack of functionality in my ethernet. So that's a problem to be tackled next, I suppose.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Drink_More_Seltzer

Re: Can't Shutdown! Shutdown followed by immediate reboot

Okay. Well. The plot thickens.

I am able to shutdown when connected to A/C power. I get some of the same errors on that shutdown, but, of the 8 errors in the shot above, I only get 1,2,6, & 8.

So this has something to do with running on battery power. How do I fix this?
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

No cure to your systems symptoms; sorry.
However it would be nice to know the systems reaction to:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -P
(See man shutdown)
Drink_More_Seltzer

So, after some searching about, it seems this was being caused by laptop-mode-tools. Not sure why it started now and not before, but it's solved.

I am still seeing the same errors, however, but that's a problem for another thread. TY!

Return to “Other topics”