A linux success story (so far)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bob franklin

A linux success story (so far)

Post by bob franklin »

Several years after giving up in disgust on linux, due to *extreme* difficulty with printers of any make or model, as well as a complete inability to create a dvd that'd play on my dvd player without me attaining a PHD in bashology, I found a discarded Dell 270 Optiplex tower sitting next to a dumpster in an apart complex. Intrigued, I decided to take it home & see what system was on it. I'm a pizza delivery guy by trade, & thrown out computers & small appliances give me a surprisingly good 2nd income. Imagine my disappointment to discover Mint installed, & me without the username or password! Not to be detoured, I downloaded & burned Nadia on my main box &then installed it on the Dell. It just buttered right onto the drive, smooth as you like. I was impressed by the overall layout & ease of getting online (my last distro was Xandros), but wasn't expecting much in the multimedia department. Figured I'd give it a go anyway. I installed brasero, tried & failed. But then I decided try Dvd styler, not knowing I'd need to save my project as an ISO & burn it with another program. 1st attempt with Styler failed. So Itried saving as an ISO for my 2nd try. Okay, now I have an ISO, ostensibly of a dvd! Halfway there! I figured out that I could burn it in Brasero. Burn went okay, but will it play in my dvd player? Holding my breath, I popped the the dvd out of the drive & walked the green mile over to my entertainment system. I ejected the tray on the player, placed the diisc on & closed it up. Next thing I see on my tv is the menu for my dvd. I hit play & that's just what it did - flawlessly. :shock: The method for creating it was certainly a bit clumsy when compared to the way it's done in windows by mainstream software, but it was still fairly easy & netted an acceptable result. What a huge leap forward for linux! This is easily half of the stranglehold Microsoft has over linux. If the printer issues have progressed equally far we might just be witnessing the final chapter being written for an abusive monopoly. This has been a momentous day indeed. Next, I'll hook up my printer & see what happens...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sofasufi

Re: A linux success story (so far)

Post by sofasufi »

Hi Bob.

You're right, it's amazing how far Linux has come. Keep working with Mint for the next few months & see how you go. In the meantime, I'm sure you'll find all the help you need, between the Mint forum & googling questions. I moved from XP to Linux 2 months ago and cannot see myself every going back to Windows or Mac.

Go well meantime.

SofaSufi

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”