Mint 14 Cinnamon starts to black screen

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
axis75

Mint 14 Cinnamon starts to black screen

Post by axis75 »

And then after around 10 seconds the desktop switcher comes up, then around 10 seconds later the far left and far right of the panel come up. Not possible to click on or interact with anything however.

Starts fine into a Gnome session.

Clean install with only Nvidia drivers added and Void theme selected.

Interestingly, if I Ctrl+Alt+F1 into a terminal, then Ctrl+Alt+F7 out, Cinnamon then comes up fine...

Any thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sofasufi

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon starts to black screen

Post by sofasufi »

Hi there.

Have you tried installing 13 & clicking the back port option in software sources to get the latest Cinnamon update & then closing that option again? Maybe you're dead set on using 14 which is cool, but might be worth a try. I'm sticking with 13 until the next LTS comes along :wink:

Go well.

SofaSufi.
axis75

Post by axis75 »

Thanks bud - is there that much of a difference from 13 to 14? Or put another way, are there known issues like this in 14? Not averse to backing it out, but just trying to weigh up the evidence!
AchronTimeless

Post by AchronTimeless »

I've been resorting to booting in gnome and using "cinnamon --replace" to load it. Runs absolutely fine if I do it that way, but it won't boot into cinnamon no matter what I do. Just a black screen, with incredibly slow loading white boxes wherever program windows should be. Mouse cursor moves just fine though. Needless to say, I avoid restarting my computer.
mensfort

Re: Mint 15 Cinnamon also starts to black screen

Post by mensfort »

In Linux 15 OLIVIA this issue is still not solved.... (so I'm still using Linux 11 for my customers...)
Besides black borders, charaters are dissapearing.
Does anybody know how to get rid of the black bars?

I have a laptop HP Pavilion g series, 1 year old.

It's probably a Cinnamon issue. I read that Cinnamon is getting stable, but not in Holland yet!!

Return to “Software & Applications”