[Howto] Install the ClamAV antivirus for Linux Mint.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
meteorrock

[Howto] Install the ClamAV antivirus for Linux Mint.

Post by meteorrock »

Do you know how some advice NOT to install an antivirus for Linux distros like our Linux Mint? As most virus target a Windows OS? Does not mean there is NO virus for Linux, expecially if you are using a Java Runtime Environment on the internet for gaming or browsing the web. Doing some research online, I have found there is an OPEN source project that does just this. They develop an antivirus software for linux. These developers are from those that write kernels for linux like Linus Torvalds himself along with developers from linux.org. So if they are using this antivirus for their linux distros I am going to do the same :) I will be posting a short tutorial for installing this nice antivirus along with its User interface if you want to use a GUI for your antivirus. There website is at this link here for source. http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/

Install clamav in Linux Mint.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install clamav clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam
The above will get the CLI (command line interface) program for ClamAV along with it daemon and its tools. What is a dameon? In multitasking computer operating systems, a daemon is a computer program that runs as a background process, rather than being under the direct control of an interactive user.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This will complete the basic scanner installation.

~~~~~~~~~~

Now for a GTK frontend for the Clam AntiVirus scanner, that will use your GTK engines on Linux Mint by default:

If you want to install GTK frontend for the Clam AntiVirus scanner in Linux Mint, you can install avscan or clamtk. I went with Clamtk as that GUI has a real nice interface, and I love bells and whistles on my linux mint.

sudo apt-get install clamtk

Thats all you need to install this great antivirus program for Linux Mint. Check your menu box and you will find it now listed in your Menu box if you are using the MATE desktop enviroment or the Cinnamon Desktop environment.

Out of all of the Linux Antivirus I tried yesterday, this one is by far the EASIEST and most pretty antivirus for Linux, and its developed by the Open source community. I tried Avira, Avast, and Comodo antivirus and they all want you to build a kernel module or other tools for their use. And their User interface is bland and ugly.

Hope this helps :
Last edited by meteorrock on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Phoenix Rising

Re: [Howto] Install the ClamAV antivirus for Linux Mint.

Post by Phoenix Rising »

thanks meteorrock =) This is good stuff.

‧.................°‧° ☆.(¯`•.•´¯)
.°☆ ‧°‧°☆∴° ☆ ¤º…`•.¸.•´ ☆™
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ *`•.ђคשε ค ηï¢ε đคу¸.•*Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
soup2511

Post by soup2511 »

Why wouldn't I want to just install clamtk using the software center or

? The dependencies will get installed with it if they are required ...
Phoenix Rising

Post by Phoenix Rising »

I just text [meteorrock] and she said those other tools are needed for clam AV for the dameon tools and your GUI front if you want them =) . The fresh clam dependency is for the automatic updates. If you want to old school the app you can run it in the terminal she said. GTG school lunch here is up.

Happy valentines day.
ame177674

Post by ame177674 »

Yes,this is nice. But does Clamav scan malware/rookit under linux ? or it only scan the windows virus under linux file system (like a antivirus in file server )?
ldtexan

Post by ldtexan »

i to am a newbie to linux and have concerns about virus attacks.

When i try to install ClamAV i get the following error messages....

Package clamav is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'clamav' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package clamav-daemon
E: Unable to locate package clamav-freshclam

and also the follwing when trying to install clamtk

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package clamtk

i appreciate any help anyone can provide,
thank you
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JazzAzz.
It would have been nice not to ignore the sticky red note on top of the webpage:
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead.
Will move your post to Software & Applications as a new thread: How to Install ClamAV on Mint 17.3 xfce?. Done.
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Tutorials”