Looking for an easy backup tool

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simplex

Looking for an easy backup tool

Post by simplex »

I'm looking for a very simple tool that just makes a compressed tarball (.tgz) of my /home once a week and stores it under, say, /var/tmp/backup.

It should also run if I hadn't switched my machine on on that particular backup day.

I know I could do this with cron-jobs and shell scripts but why invent the wheel twice?

BTW: What's the best medium for long-time storage of backups? If the answer is "put it on a filehoster", then the tool should also encrypt the tarball, because I trust nearly no one. :wink:

Thank you,
S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Looking for an easy backup tool

Post by wayne128 »

Try fsarchiver

read this thread, simple enough to backup file system
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 45#p682592
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Clonzilla ( use on the wonderful Parted Magic) easy backup and clone, if you use a little common sense and work your way through it ( do it once and its easy then) Very versatile.
Redo backup nice easy backup with dedicated gui

The other way would be as you say with a script or try Grsync using --exclude for folders not to backup.
then anacron to automate.

Backup media. weekly to a different disk on the same machine , monthly/quarterly - external hdd only used for backups.

also look at FreeFileSync available fro linux, windows - worked ok on windows haven't tried on linux.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

simplex wrote:I'm looking for a very simple tool that just makes a compressed tarball (.tgz) of my /home once a week and stores it under, say, /var/tmp/backup.

It should also run if I hadn't switched my machine on on that particular backup day.

I know I could do this with cron-jobs and shell scripts but why invent the wheel twice?

BTW: What's the best medium for long-time storage of backups? If the answer is "put it on a filehoster", then the tool should also encrypt the tarball, because I trust nearly no one. :wink:

Thank you,
S.
I like BackInTime. You should backup to an external source instead of the local drive.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Have a look to "deja-dup". It is nicely integrated with Ubuntu/Mint, easy to use, can encrypt your backup and is convenient for simple backup tasks like those you described.

Return to “Beginner Questions”