Hi linux Mint Community!!!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andy321

Hi linux Mint Community!!!

Post by andy321 »

Hi LM Community,

My name is andy, and i thought about saying 'whats up' to fellow distro users. I had been wanting to do this for a while but i finally installed linux mint 13 LTS MATE edition on my laptop, not only to get away from Windows but to also learn to use linux. Quite frankly, i don't like the direction MS windows is going in and i have always used FOSS software even on windows. Personally i am a fan of FOSS sofware so why not make my OS open sourced??

After installing Linux Mint, i am already started to feel liberated from using proprietary software, every thing runs smoothly and uses less CPU resources. i am still familierising my self to LM and I have yet to run into any problems. As a long term goal, i would like to learn how to programme using python, but its early days yet.

take care :D,

Andy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hi linux Mint Community!!!

Post by raymerjacque »

Welcome, hope your first few weeks on Linux is eventful in a good way :)
andy321

Post by andy321 »

cheers.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
andy321

Post by andy321 »

Thanks wizzard.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Andy, welcome to Linux Mint :D Programming with Python is fun, at least I think so. Many programs developed by Linux Mint are actually written in Python, like the Software Manager and Update Manager for example. So I hope you do pick it up, but most important is you have a good time and enjoy using Linux Mint :wink:

Google has a very basic Python class to get you started: https://developers.google.com/edu/python/. The Hitchhiker's Guide To Python may be a nice resource along the way also: http://docs.python-guide.org/en/latest/index.html. Another good resource is Learn Python The Hard Way, which throws you in the deep end but gets you going fast with the basics: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/. You don't need much to get started, Gedit or Kate both already have syntax highlighting for Python source code, though you may want to look into a lightweight programmer's editor like Geany to get a little more productive as your programming skills grow (you can install it from the Software Manager; I recommend you also install geany-plugins for some extra tools). But there are plenty of other programmer's editors and IDEs suitable for use with Python.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day

Welcome to the Mint forum.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”