Nautilus and Nemo competing for my affections

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
notwatson

Nautilus and Nemo competing for my affections

Post by notwatson »

Hi,

I installed Mint 13 MATE and then added Cinnamon to the mix - giving me the option to have Mate or Cinnamon sessions.

Then I activated the backports repository and updated all the 1s and 2s in the update manager.

All went well and I am very happy - always now opting for the Cinnamon session.

However - Nautilus and Nemo are both installed (as is Caja) and there is some confusion - I want Nemo as my default file manager but when I plug in a USB stick (for instance) Nautilus starts. If I click on "home" or "computer" on the desktop, Nemo starts - which is how I want the whole system to act.

How can I stop this happening ? Is it as simple as un-installing Nautilus (and or Caja) in the software manager ?

One other thing - how do you make MP3s "preview" inside Nemo - in my previous version of MINT, when you hovered over an MP3 in the file manager, it played.....

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Nautilus and Nemo competing for my affections

Post by passerby »

notwatson wrote: How can I stop this happening ? Is it as simple as un-installing Nautilus (and or Caja) in the software manager ?
Yes, though you should be able to make nemo the default without doing so.
Try opening the defaults.list file and removing nautilus entries.

eg. Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
then locate lines like

inode/directory=nemo.desktop;caja.desktop;nautilus.desktop;Thunar.desktop
and remove the undesired entries so it only lists the programs you want to use. eg.

inode/directory=nemo.desktop;caja.desktop
notwatson

Post by notwatson »

Excellent - thanks - now the USB drive opens a Nemo window - just what I wanted.

Is there a way to stop it browsing the disk when inserted ? It used to be the case that in the "behavior" tab of the preferences you could select whether to browse media on insertion or not (it meant that the disk was mounted and an icon for it appeared on the desktop, but the file manager window did not open [this would be my preference]) - that option seems to be missing now - any way around it ?

It also plays an annoying little "click-click" noise when inserted and removed - I'd really like to stop it doing that !

Thanks for your help.
passerby

Post by passerby »

This might do the trick:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount-open false
notwatson

Post by notwatson »

Thanks for this - unfortunately it made no difference .... hmmm....

Also, I notice that this morning when inserting the USB stick, it opened in Nautilus again - even though I saved the defaults.list file as root - how can that get re-set ?

If anybody knows how to stop the sound that it makes upon insertion/removal I would be extremely grateful - especially as it halts processes whilst it makes the clicky-click noise !

I am about to upgrade from a single core 1.8GHz Sempron to a dual core 2.8GHz Athlon processor, so everything should speed up significantly but this is just infuriating - it used to be so easy to change how the file manager behaved in exactly this situation.....

Thanks for ongoing help.

Jon
fig_wright

Post by fig_wright »

I'm also suffering from this exact problem. This is something that the Mint/Cinnamon people should really have fixed. :cry:

Return to “Software & Applications”