Cant install anything without the terminal.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cant install anything without the terminal.

Postby phantommaggot on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:18 pm

HI,
So I've had this really irritating little issue since my first updates after the fresh linux mint 14 install.

Im using mate

Anyways,
Anytime I go to the software portal or another place where I would download programs and applications and try to do so nothing happens. I click the button/link and a new empty browser windows opens. Thats it. Its always a window too not a tab.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks
-J
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cant install anything without the terminal.

Postby TheDynamicHamza21 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 am

So the software manager is malfunctioning? Can you install programs using the package manager?
Linux Registered User: # 573034

www.domeshotsandfatlaces.com
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cant install anything without the terminal.

Postby phantommaggot on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 pm

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:So the software manager is malfunctioning? Can you install programs using the package manager?

Pretty sure I can but I'll check again. I got steam installed using the instructions on the page.

I think its a different issue. I've been playing around with it more when I have time.

Anything I try to download or open from a link that needs to open another program to work just opens a browser.

For example, I was attempting to download a torrent from a magnet link. Instead of opening my torrent client it jsut opens a new browser window.

I'll hit the software manager now and see how that goes. I need to decide what I want from there LOL.

--------
EDIT

Synaptic Package Manager put gnome games on my pc no problem.

Seems like my problem is related to command given to the pc when I click a link that opens a program.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications