New Software Manager

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
chenriques

New Software Manager

Post by chenriques »

I'm still new to Mint but I love it.
There's just one thing that I think that can be much better: mintInstall (Software Manager)

1. Ubuntu Software Manager, in my opinion is a little better, and doesn't look so simple like mintInstall. I think a look like most "App Stores" is more pleasant, with large images, ranks, featured packages. mintInstall just needs a better "first page";
2. If I choose just the "Instaled Packages" view, it still shows the number of packages in each category of the available packages.
3. If a package has a score of more 4 digits or more, the last digit is cut off;
4. It could be possible to directly install\uninstall a package from the packages list, instead of opening one by one.
5. I don't now if this is possible, but list filters would be great like: most popular, most downloaded, etc.

Just some ideas I wanted to share :)
chiec

Re: New Software Manager

Post by chiec »

I think it's a great idea!
Malsasa

Post by Malsasa »

My idea for new software manager:

Save downloaded debs in separate folders, according to the package installed. So when downloading Netbeans, it saves all dependencies into netbeans folder, Eclipse into eclipse folder, etc.

So we can copy just a folder and sudo dpkg -i *.deb in another computer (no need to download again).

It is simple. But if this feature impossible to implement, how about creating just plugin/addon that can do this in software manager? So users in slow internet country can save their bandwidth quota.
brmccarty

Post by brmccarty »

I usually use Synaptic Package Manager. You can make all your selections then click apply and go about doing other things that need to be done.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”