How to install VirtualBox on Linux Mint.???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sandimulyadi

How to install VirtualBox on Linux Mint.???

Post by sandimulyadi »

Hi, I am newbie here :-D
I want to install VirtualBox on Linux Mint 14 Debian Edition.,
Can you show me how to do it.??? :-D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: How to install VirtualBox on Linux Mint.???

Post by cecar »

Thats very confusing. There is no Linux Mint 14 Debian edition. Either it's Linux Mint 14 or Linux Mint Debian Edition.

Should be in repositories. Search for it in synaptic package manager.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Start synaptic
Type virtualbox, right click on the package and tick, mark for installation.
once installed go to https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and download Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack = prob 4.1.24
Double click on the downloaded file and it'll install with virtualbox.

You may or may-not need guest additions but that depends on the guest os you use.

Open a terminal and add yourself to vboxusers with

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers yourname

where yourname would be sandimulyadi or whatever you made your user name on mint
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I recommend using the latest VirtualBox from its website: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Download the newest version (4.2.4) for Linux (DEB package), and the extension pack. After that double-click the downloaded DEB to install it (type your password when asked). Then double-click the extension pack and choose Yes to install.
Finally, add your user to the vboxusers group, as usbtux has suggested.
Done! Enjoy! :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Before you follow up on any advice, make clear which Linux Mint edition you are actually using. If you have no clue, please open a terminal and run the following command. Share the output here and we will know (you can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu).

Code: Select all

inxi -S

Return to “Beginner Questions”