Compiz 3D Accelaration and Xorg

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gio4

Compiz 3D Accelaration and Xorg

Post by gio4 »

Hi,
i use since NewYear 2013 LMDE with cinnamon DE.
Unfortunately I have a old one PC with a nvidia graphic adapter GeForce GT8500!

I was wondering all this time what exactly is Compiz and some days ago i watch some videos on youtube! wWwoOowWw! the only i have to say!
After that i try the command:

Code: Select all

compiz --restore
like shown in this video --> video

After that i was trying to make the command running at StartUp but i get the Oh No! Screen.

After removing it from the StartUp i was wondering why it don't work. And i read that i need a 3D acceleration but how can i check or how can i install a 3D acceleration?
However i try to install nvidia-settings from Software-Manager but it was a disaster because i get some ugly screen talking about not good configuration of X server etc.
I solve it by removing nvidia-setting via apt-get an make some new xorg.conf file...etc.

But now i have lost the sound and every time i login i have to unplug and replug the keyboard/mouse-dongle to make the mouse pointer moving. Also my other HDD (windows) is not shown in Computer as before the try of nvidia-settings installation, but it is shown in GRUB!

My basic Question is how can i make compiz work? ( e.g. only the wobbly windows effect )

My second question is how can i check if a have a 3D acceleration or how can i install one?

My last question is how can i get back my sound working and not needing unplug/replug the mouse dongle? and to be visible again (like before) my other HDD.

thanx for help!

p.s. sorry about my terrible English ...i am a poor Greek :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Compiz 3D Accelaration and Xorg

Post by zerozero »

answering the most important part of your question: do not use compiz with cinnamon, the latter will break badly :shock:
if you are really amazed by compiz use mate (it's another option in the login screen) and forget that cinnamon is there.

as for 3D acceleration, post please the terminal output of

inxi -SGx
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Sorry for intruding, but may I pop in? I'm also interested in the subject, using LMDE Mate. Here are my settings:

rudar@rudarlmde ~ $ inxi -SGx
System: Host rudarlmde Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Graphics: Card Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop GLX Version 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering Yes
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

rudar,
i don't see anything wrong with your settings. do you experience any kind of issues?
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

No, I don't have any problems with daily routine. It's just that I wanted to learn a bit more about Compiz effects. For example, I was unable to make a cube, or to paint fire on my screen, although I saw they exist in my Compiz Manager.
gio4

Post by gio4 »

Hi!
thanx for the reply!
OK! here is my output of

gio@mymint ~ $ inxi -SGx
System:    Host mymint Kernel 3.2.0-4-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
Graphics:  Card NVIDIA G86 [GeForce 8500 GT] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1920x1080@59.9hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 8500 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes
gio4

Post by gio4 »

However using mate i have a lot of issues:

1) first of all the open aplications are not shown in the Panel!
2) the "Tab"-key are not working properly e.g. in a webpage login-dialog usually i write the UN and then i tab to the PW-field using the "Tab"-key. In my mate this isn't working.
3) Also Alt+Tab didn't work.
4) My second language does not appear in the panel and i can't switch between the 2 languages i have installed, etc.

all he above works fine on my cinnamon!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

gio4,
let's focus here on the issue described in the subject (for the other issues would be better to open new topics)

- you have 3D acceleration
GLX Renderer GeForce 8500 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes
- logging into mate (don't try this in cinnamon) look in synaptic for the compiz packages (and the plugins) as in the video above, in ccsm enable the basic effects and open a terminal and do

compiz --replace

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”