How to dual boot Linux mint 14 and windows 8?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JaZZyCooL

How to dual boot Linux mint 14 and windows 8?

Post by JaZZyCooL »

Hey guys,
I was thinking of installing linux mint on my laptop. I bought a new lenovo y400 (pre-installed win 8), but now I want to dual boot linux mint for my programming purposes, I am not able to figure out the installation process with windows 8 and specially the motherboard support wiht UEFI. I am really not knowledgable about the terms related to the installation (such as MBR, GPT,) etc. Can you guys please please help me out figure how to dual boot linux mint on windows 8 motherboard support.

Your help is highly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JaZZyCooL

Re: How to dual boot Linux mint 14 and windows 8?

Post by JaZZyCooL »

Hey guys really need help can you please help me out.
yrrchsebor

Post by yrrchsebor »

have you ever installed Linux Mint before? I just dual-booted Mint 14 with Win8 UEFI last night, and the only thing different was at the end, my Asus would only boot straight into Windows, as if I never had installed Mint. But I ended up fixing that with the Boot Repair program that comes with Ubuntu 12.10 Secure Remix, which is made to be able to deal with dual-booting on UEFI.

It is a bit much to write out here, so it might be good to find a basic installation guide here, and then the last part is hopefully a pretty easy fix. well, it was easy once I found out to use Boot Repair in Ubuntu 12.10 Secure Remix :) also it looks like other secure boot/UEFI solutions are popping up in the forums, etc.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

check to see if this tutorial helps

How-to: Dual boot Windows 8 and Mint 14 - both (U)EFI!
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=121912

Return to “Installation & Boot”