Cinnamon development news

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon development news

Post by kmb42vt »

I've been running the Cinnamon nightly builds for awhile now and, with only one recent glitch when the Launchpad servers choked and builds failed at the same time, Cinnamon and Nemo are really starting to come together. The only thing I really miss right now is the right-hand thumbnail pane that appears when selecting an image file in the (Nemo based) "Open file" dialog box which is (was?) present in Nautilus. For example, adding a new background image to the "Backgrounds" (wallpaper) dialog box is rather difficult when you have a lot of images and all you have is tiny thumbnails and names that may or may not trigger a memory as to what the images are. Minor but nice to have feature.

Otherwise, the nightly builds have been surprisingly stable even though it's still very much a "work-in-progress". It's fun to watch as things evolve. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

bimsebasse wrote:rjanja is doing most of the work integrating installation of applets (and eventually themes and extensions) into Cinnamon Settings/System Settings - still early days but I'll add some screenshots later, if possible.
The work landed in Cinnamon Nightly today and here's how the new applet page in Cinnamon Settings/System Settings looks:

The front tab shows active installed applets. Pressing "inactive" displays applets installed locally but not added to panel. The fun comes with the "Get more online" tab:

It shows all available applets from the Spices website, sorted by rating (you can sort by "date changed" or "name" as well) and easily installed with two clicks - check the applet and press the "Install selected" button. You can also easily uninstall already installed applets. Everything worked smoothly in my test. It's a massive step forward for Cinnamon.

Here's hoping something similar for themes and extensions will find its way into Cinnamon soon :)
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks for the news, it looks good indeed! Since the working is exactly the same I'm hopeful about themes and extensions.

Rehdon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bimsebasse wrote:
bimsebasse wrote: Image
Nice background, Bim. Any chance of revealing where you scored it?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Cheers, squire.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Return to “Cinnamon”