Sound scheme and memory problem.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Sound scheme and memory problem.

Post by caz »

Couple of problems I've got here so hopefully this is the right place to ask.
First off although sounds work on my system - log in, CDs, anything on Youtube that kind of stuff - the system sounds will not work. There is a sound scheme installed but no way to assign sounds to a particular event. It also makes no difference if I change the sound scheme, there's about five or six different ones installed, the sound events will still not work. I've had a look around but for the life of me can't locate the problem so any advice on this will be great.

Second problem. I'm running a dual boot, Mint 14 and Windows Vista and have 4GBs of RAM installed. Vista sees the 4GB but Mint says that there is only 3GB. Anyone got any ideas as to what the problems is here?

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
nomko

Re: Sound scheme and memory problem.

Post by nomko »

caz wrote:Second problem. I'm running a dual boot, Mint 14 and Windows Vista and have 4GBs of RAM installed. Vista sees the 4GB but Mint says that there is only 3GB. Anyone got any ideas as to what the problems is here?
Yes, is your CPU a 32-bit CPU? Then is can be right that Mint only "sees" 3 gig, it cannot address more than 4 gig memory. You need to install the PAE kernel. With the PAE kernel you break the 4 gig barrier. : http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... el#p684118
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz »

Thanks for the reply, nomko. I installed PAE as suggested but Mint still registers that there is only 3GBs installed. I tried a shut down and reboot to see if that would make a difference but there was no change.
I am running a 32 bit cpu, it's a PentuIm(R) D CPU 3GHZ, and I'm getting the info about the RAM from the system monitor. Not sure if there's another way to check just to be sure?
nomko

Post by nomko »

Where do you get that info from? Can you make a screenshot of it and place it here?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Mint 14 already uses the pae kernel by default, no need to install.

There are many ways to check the amount of RAM on your system, you can use

Code: Select all

grep MemTotal /proc/meminfo
or

sudo lshw -short
or

inxi -I
etc.

If you have a graphic card with shared RAM you will have less RAM available for the linux kernel to report.

Also, some BIOS can't use all the installed RAM. When your computer was new 4GB of RAM was rare and probably wasn't tested properly if at all with that motherboard, this could be your problem. Check if a newer BIOS is available.

To avoid "problems" like this, some Windows know report the installed RAM (4GB) and not the RAM it can actually use (3GB).
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz »

Thanks for the replies, guys. There's a couple of screen shots here, one from Vista and one from Mint. I noticed in the vista one that although it says there are 4GBs of memory installed it says that the total physical memory is 3GBs. I guess this is why Mint says there's only 3gig, not sure on this point though as I don't know enough about the memory side of things, and how it operates, to be sure.
I did check for an update to the bios but can't find anything, even on the Packard Bell website. My bios is a Phoenix technologies Si671V14 in case anyone knows where I can find an update for it.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Yes, Windows and Mint both only use 3.0GB...

Return to “Other topics”