Math but no Sage

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbrant

Math but no Sage

Post by dbrant »

Much to my suprise I cannot find SageMath listed in Synaptic. Am i missing something or what? :o

Scilab, Maxima, gretl, Octave and gnuplot are all there. Some mention of Cantor backport(!?) but no Sage :?

Could anybody please enlighten if there is an easy way to install it?
I am running 64-bit maya with cinammon
Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Math but no Sage

Post by dagon »

There is a ppa for it here:
https://launchpad.net/~aims/+archive/sagemath
Install this package with

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:aims/sagemath
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sagemath-upstream-binary
dbrant

Re: Math but no Sage [SOLVED]

Post by dbrant »

Many thanks dagon

I took your sound advice with the ppa and it worked perfectly. Sage is now up and running flawlessly.

I forgot how diverse it is and consequently didn't appreciate the number of additional applications it's integrated with. A big installation, but well worth it.

Much appreciated
All the best
Dave :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”