software manager finds very few apps

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
turnbub

software manager finds very few apps

Post by turnbub »

New to LINUX, like it a LOT!!
Installed CHROME (just cuz I'm used to it), installed GIMP and KEEPASSX, but when I tried to install PICASA, it quit in the middle of the download, and now it cant be found.
Now when I look into available apps, there are VERY FEW - eg. FEATURED says there are 29 apps available, but only 3 show up when I select that category:- GIMP, LIBRE OFFICE, and FIREFOX.
Is there a problem with the software depository, or am I doing something wrong???
Would appreciate any help / comments, thank you, Bobby T
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: software manager finds very few apps

Post by nomko »

turnbub wrote:but when I tried to install PICASA, it quit in the middle of the download, and now it cant be found.
Picasa is no longer supported for Linux. it cannot be downloaded through the "official" channel. See this article: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/google-s ... a-for.html. However, Picasa still can be installed under Linux by using WINE, how to do this, read this article: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install- ... d-fix.html.

If you want a good photo/image management program, there are many others available under Linux.
turnbub wrote:Now when I look into available apps, there are VERY FEW - eg. FEATURED says there are 29 apps available, but only 3 show up when I select that category:- GIMP, LIBRE OFFICE, and FIREFOX.
Is there a problem with the software depository, or am I doing something wrong???
Would appreciate any help / comments, thank you, Bobby T
What category are you using during your search? And yes, in most cases more applications are given. You're dealing with library files and dependencies for 1 application.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

You should have Synaptic Package Manager on your system which is an alternative to Software Manager. There are quite a few threads on this forum with complaints it doesn't work properly. I can't even get S.M. to open on 14 KDE. Give Synaptic a look.
turnbub

Post by turnbub »

Thanks for the clarification re: PICASA.
I will look up some other photo manip. apps, using the REVIEWS - they are helpful .... and thanks to all who post reviews, specially with detailed observations.
My SOFTWARE MGR still only finds a fraction of the apps that are supposed t be there ..... I am struggling with finding Synaptic Package Manager ....
I will try some more - if anyone sees this I'd appreciate "how to ...." on this
turnbub

Post by turnbub »

OOPS!! When I looked into the pull-down menus in SOFTWARE MGR my "VIEW" was set to INSTALLED apps, so I changed it to "AVAILABLE APPS" and there they all are - DUH!!
I did try "PACKAGE MGR" found VIRTUAL BOX and loaded it ..... hope to make it work one day...
Bob

Return to “Software & Applications”