Upgrade MINT over Network?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Upgrade MINT over Network?

Post by pgmer6809 »

My Computer is currently running Xubuntu 11.0 32 bit.
Is there a way to upgrade to Nadia over the network?
What if I were running Maya 64bit, would there be a way to upgrade to Nadia without having to boot from an ISO image on DVD?
pgmer6809
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Upgrade MINT over Network?

Post by bigj231 »

Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? For 1 system,not really.
If you don't want to burn a DVD, a USB drive is a perfect alternative. It's faster and reusable. If you're doing it as an exercise, it should be the same as upgrading/installing Ubuntu over a network. I've never done it, nor bothered to figure out how, but any tutorial for Ubuntu should work for Mint.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pgmer6809 »

So you are saying that I add the USB to the list of repositories and then run an apt-get upgrade kind of cmd?
Is there a specific directory in the std ISO layout (Casper etc.) that I should name as the repository?

Thanks,
pgmer6809
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I'm suggesting reinstalling using a USB. You will have much fewer headaches that way. Does your BIOS allow for booting from a USB drive? Just grab the Ubuntu image writer (startup disk creator) from the repositories and use it to put the ISO onto a USB. It will be exactly like a live CD without the CD part. Then just reinstall your system. If you have a separate /home partition, then don't reformat it, just use it as it is. If you don't have one, now would be an excellent time to make one.
You could just get the packages and upgrade them, but it will cause problems. I've never had good luck with in-place upgrades on any system, Linux or otherwise. That's why Mint doesn't allow for it with the stock upgrade manager.

Return to “Installation & Boot”