HELP please : things got even worse :(

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
qarni

HELP please : things got even worse :(

Post by qarni »

Hello

I am very new to the whole Linux world.
I installed mint 14 on my laptop on the partition D (51g) along side of Windows 7.
Everything seems to be working fine until I received an error msg that bootloader failed !
First, what does bootloader do ?
How to install it ?
Why cannot I get to choose which OS to start ?
My laptop just started with windows without asking me to choose !

One more thing, during the instillation, I did not choose swap area and was prompted by the wizard to do so, therefore, I did choose the same partition D for that ?
Could anyone please give a detailed step-by-step solution ?

Oh! just noticed that partition D does not appear anymore in my computer when running Windows, is it normal ?

Appreciate it :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xtreme

Re: HELP please ..

Post by xtreme »

Hi there. You need to choose swap partition for installing Linux Mint. I would suggest doing a re-install with correct configuration. This is a good tutorial for dual-booting - http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/06/06/ho ... windows-7/

You can install the boot loader using this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --reinstall install grub-pc
Hope this helps. :)
qarni

Re: HELP please ..

Post by qarni »

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried to use the command you suggested and I got an error message saying couldn't find a canonical path for /cow.
Then I tried to reinstall mint again and I chose partition D for the system and another partion 100 mega for the swap area. I then got the same problem.
Then restarted my laptop but another problem showed up where I saw a black screen with very weird and unreadable characters and I cannot use my windows again.
I tried to use the repair cd but nothing changed and did a full system restore from an external hard drive but the same screen showed up after successful restore.
It is very frustrating and I am afraid that there a serious damage in my laptop.

Please help
qarni

Re: HELP please : things got even worse :(

Post by qarni »

If I were to use the whole hard drive to install mint which will format everything, would it be possible to restore windows again ?
I am thinking to install mint only and then do a full restore to the laptop using the Windows 7 repair disk and the backup I have on the external hard drive. Is this possible ?
DrHu

Re: HELP please : things got even worse :(

Post by DrHu »

Err no,. kinda obvious if there is no space allowed for anything else that nothing else can be installed

If you need windows running, you may prefer a wubi install (mint4win) which allows Linux to run alongside windows, it is a VM (virtual machine, partial that is), that runs Linux from a file on the hosts file system..
http://www.thegeeksclub.com/install-ubu ... imint4win/

If you don't do that, it is a standard multi-boot install, windows in the C: drive (1st drive/1st partition) and Linux in the second partition on that drive
--it is best, I think to use primary partitions (4 are available) as it keeps partitioning simple to use and simple to fix, since they are essentially separate from each other windows/Linux/some other OS and one spare partitions

Return to “Beginner Questions”