cant get peer to peer to work (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stumbles

cant get peer to peer to work (solved)

Post by stumbles »

hi neither transmission nor deluge is downloading any torrent files they both tell me that I have no incoming data - any ideas on what may be causing the problem my end, sorry not really up to scratch with peer to peer et al
I use latest firefox browser with a superhub virgin wireless router
on a 64bit LTS Mint cinnamon
with thanks for your time and (I suspect) patience . . .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: cant get peer to peer to work

Post by AlbertP »

Did you perhaps enable your firewall or something like that?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
stumbles

Post by stumbles »

AlbertP wrote:Did you perhaps enable your firewall or something like that?
hi yes I always have a firewall enabled , enabled when I used LTS mint 9 isadora no problems at all peer to peer worked fine...on transmission
stumbles

Post by stumbles »

Hi do i need to provied more info here about this or is there no solution to this problem at the moment on here any feedback would be of interest - again with thanks for your time and patience . . .
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

You probably have to open corresponding ports in your firewall. What firewall do you use and what ports for peer to peer?

For example if you use UFW firewall and the peer tp peer port is 45000 you open that port in UFW like this in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo ufw allow 45000
stumbles

Post by stumbles »

cecar wrote:You probably have to open corresponding ports in your firewall. What firewall do you use and what ports for peer to peer?

For example if you use UFW firewall and the peer tp peer port is 45000 you open that port in UFW like this in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo ufw allow 45000

ok thank you will try that out later . . . :P
stumbles

Post by stumbles »

Hi tried that still not working getting 'no incoming connections' on my torrent programme 'Deluge' same on 'Transmission' - seems to be a common problem seeing it all over the forums . . .
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Do you have a router between your computer and internet? If that is the case you have to open the port in the router as well.
stumbles

Post by stumbles »

cecar wrote:Do you have a router between your computer and internet? If that is the case you have to open the port in the router as well.
HI yes I have a router not sure how to open the required port in it though sorry not very tech savvie . . .
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

Look at this page to find guides on how to forward ports on various brands of routers.
http://portforward.com/
stumbles

Post by stumbles »

tried everything deluge / transmission just will not work on this OS at the moment seems to be a common problem anyone got any ideas re if they going to fix the issue anytime soon . . ?

Return to “Beginner Questions”