Should I use DBAN before installing Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ethan Holloway

Should I use DBAN before installing Linux?

Post by Ethan Holloway »

This is probably a dumb question but I'm very OCD and I'm wondering if wiping my entire hard drive with a program like DBAN would speed up a future operating system. I feel like it would but I've heard some people say that Linux takes care of the wiping when you install it, and even though it says it does, I'm wondering why a program like DBAN takes so long to use but installing Linux is fairly quick. I'm thinking that DBAN does a better job at erasing data thus making your computer run faster. My question is, would it make any difference if I used DBAN or some program like that before installing Linux? I don't care about perserving any files as I have an external hard drive. Thank you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Should I use DBAN before installing Linux?

Post by catweazel »

Ethan Holloway wrote:My question is, would it make any difference if I used DBAN or some program like that before installing Linux?
Only to the time you spend wiping the disk. The drive will not be sped up by wiping it. The difference is that a full format starts at the blunt end of the drive and works it way to the pointy end, formatting every sector as it goes. This is a waste of time so now most formatting routines just put a special list at the start of the drive, and few flags in between.

So, the stuff you've been told is all wrong, and there is no advantage in wiping the drive, unless perhaps you have stuff on there that you're ashamed of and don't want the your local police constabulary to find.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"I'm wondering if wiping my entire hard drive with a program like DBAN would speed up a future operating system."
No as it doesn't do anything to the hardware to speed up the disk. All DBAN does is wipe bits off so they are unrecoverable by recovering deleted files and folders. Linux or Windows Clean intall plus formatting does the same when creating new partitions and formating the drive which is only software writing to the disk and actually doesn't do anything to the drive itself except making code entries onto the platters.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

TehGhodTrole wrote: ...and there is no advantage in wiping the drive, unless perhaps you have stuff on there that you're ashamed of and don't want the your local police constabulary to find.
:D :D :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”