Crash

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ratt

Crash

Post by ratt »

Why does Mint crash when I visit certain forum websites, and seemingly only some sections? Starts with my ethernet shutting off, then after I reboot, I'll get a kernel panic if I go back to the same place using Firefox's history. What would cause this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mvw

Re: Crash

Post by mvw »

I don't have a solution, but I'm having similar symptoms, usually when browsing. No response from mouse/keyboard, screen frozen. Nothing works except to unplug it.

Linux Mint 13 Maya 32 Bit
XFCE 4
K8M800-M3 / Sempron 3000
2GB DDR Crucial
ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP
WD Blue WD1600AAJS

Could this be a hard drive access error?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Unresponsive hardware, ethernet shutting off and kernel panic sounds to me like a kernel bug. Might not be, but it's hard to tell without more information.

@ratt: does this happen with any other browsers? It's important to know if it happens with all browsers or just firefox.
You should also try running firefox from the terminal so any errors thrown will display (potentially) useful information.

@both: what kernel version are you running? If you're unsure, open a terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

uname -r
ratt

Post by ratt »

passerby wrote:Unresponsive hardware, ethernet shutting off and kernel panic sounds to me like a kernel bug. Might not be, but it's hard to tell without more information.

@ratt: does this happen with any other browsers? It's important to know if it happens with all browsers or just firefox.
You should also try running firefox from the terminal so any errors thrown will display (potentially) useful information.

@both: what kernel version are you running? If you're unsure, open a terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

uname -r
Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic. Yes, it also happens with Opera. That's the main reason I tried Opera, to see if it was a Mozilla bug.
Mint 14 64 bit, Gigabyte Z77-DH3 mother board, i7-3770 3.40ghz, Intel 4000 built in video, 120 gb Samsung SSD 840, ethernet chipset: Atheros AR8161, 16 gb of ram.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Try upgrading the kernel via synaptic. You may need to enable backports, but you should be able to get 3.5.0-23; it's only a few versions ahead, but those all-important bug fixes could include one to address your problem.
ratt

Post by ratt »

okay, I upgraded to 3.7.8 kernel, and now my ethernet isn't working at all. I'm using my ancient mac to get on here. Can somebody please tell me what to do now? Please, anybody???
ratt

Post by ratt »

Can anybody offer any help?
ratt

Post by ratt »

I switched back to the old kernel, and I'm back on the net. I tried everything to install the driver for the AR8161 under the new kernel, but nothing worked. Would I be better off to put in a pci lan card? Would that be better supported?

Return to “Beginner Questions”