auto mount nfs partition SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BobLinuxW8

auto mount nfs partition SOLVED

Post by BobLinuxW8 »

I have a dual boot system with Wiindows 8 and Linux Mint Cinnamon.
I made a NFS partition what is accessed by Linux as well as by Windows.
Because I am still installing and experimenting, in that partition I made a common W8-Linux_common Folder wheer I keep my logging, documentation etc.
I made a link to this folder and copied that link on the Desktop.
When I startup the system (in Linux) and a hit the link than I get the message Broken Link. I discovered the W8data where the folder is incorporated was not yet mounted. When I go into file manager and hit W8data, than this filesystem is mounted correctly and the link is functionning.
Looking now at the mount sutuation I found that following filesystem was mounted after the initial /etc/fstab

/dev/sdb7 on /media/bob/W8data type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096) [W8data]

So I tried to adapt the /etc/fstab and added a sentence for mounting this extra filesystem, checked wit mount -a (no errors)
setence I added (and I believe , no I am quite sure, completely incorrect)
/dev/sdb7 /media/bob/W8data fuseblk rw,nosuid,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0

I rebooted
but no system nomore!!!

Lucky I could restart with the recovery, remounted the root as rw istead of ro and copied my original /etc/fstab (what I had saved).

My questions are
-is it possible to solve this broken link problem by adding an extra mount to /etc/fstab ?
-if yes what is the right sentence than, because probably my sentence was wrong
-or is there another way to solve this smaller problem

Looking forward for reaction
Cheers
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: auto mount nfs partition

Post by altair4 »

[1] If you currently mounted the partition manually - unmount it.

[2] Run the following command to find the correct UUID value for your partition:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
You should get an output that looks something like this:
/dev/sda7: LABEL="Win8" UUID="A27826107825E3AF" TYPE="ntfs"
[3] Create a permanent mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/W8data
[4] Edit fstab and add the following line to the end of the file:

UUID=A27826107825E3AF /media/W8data ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
Change the UUID number to the one you found in step [2].

[5] Run the following command which will test for errors in syntax and if there are none mount the partition without requiring a reboot:

sudo mount -a
If the last command ran without errors check to see if /media/W8data is accessible. If it is then it should mount that way at every boot.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
BobLinuxW8

Re: auto mount nfs partition

Post by BobLinuxW8 »

That was it, Thanks a lot for fast and accurate reaction!
Best regards
Bob

Return to “Installation & Boot”