Hibernating computer when the screen is locked

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tarest

Hibernating computer when the screen is locked

Post by tarest »

After not using a computer for some time it will be locked (a lock screen will be shown). Then I can shut down or restart the computer without unlocking it i.e. without giving the password but I am unable to hibernate it without giving the password. I often wake up at night and I want to hibernate my computer. Because it is locked I have to put my password before hiberation what is very tiring when I am sleepy. How can I hibernate my computer when the screen is locked without giving my password? It will be the best for me to hibernate my computer by pressing the power button on computer case. It works already when the screen is not locked since I set: "org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power.button-power"=hibernate in dconf editor. But it doesn't work when the screen is locked.
I have Mint 14 Cinnamon 64-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Hibernating computer when the screen is locked

Post by Pierre »

try going to control centre -hardware - power settings
in there - you can configure, what settings you want.
if you are using a laptop, set to hibernate, when the lid is closed.
if a desktop, set it to operate when the screen saver cuts in.

what you can do, does depend on what Mint version, you use.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
tarest

Post by tarest »

thank you - it is quite good solution. I set to hibernate when the lid is closed and it works when screen is locked.
imulysses

Post by imulysses »

How do you get the Screen Saver to work? I just loaded up Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon and, for the life of me, I cannot find out how to do this simple 'trick' that was so easy in Windows 7.

Can someone send me a step-by-step way that it should happen? I tried making adjustments through 'Systems Settings', "Preferences' and finally hit 'screen saver and lock settings.' THERE IS NO FUNCTIONALITY there to allow me to set a screen saver in any way that I knew how to do it before.

Please help
Thanks,
Ulysses.

Return to “Beginner Questions”