Cinnamon won't load after update

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
josephb.org

Cinnamon won't load after update

Post by josephb.org »

Hi all,

Mint did an update last night. I booted the box this morning and it now boots into GNOME classic, even if I select cinnamon on the log in screen. I've tried

Code: Select all

apt-get remove cinnamon
...followed by...

Code: Select all

apt-get install cinnamon
with no success.

I also think it's done something to X as I keep getting logged off if I try to start certain applications.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hawkeye_52

Re: Cinnamon won't load after update

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

I suggest you log into Gnome classic, go to Synaptic, reload the repositories and then select 1> fix broken packages under "EDIT" in the menu. After you have done that, select "STATUS" in the lower left portion of the screen, and look for any packages that still indicate a need to update; if there is 'updates', do so. Next, exit Synaptic and reboot. If things went well, you should be able to select CINNAMON as a session on the login screen.

I had a similar problem after an update, and this process got me back on track. Hope it helps in you situation, although I am not sure since you have 'uninstalled' and 'reinstalled' CINNAMON...

Hawkeye52
josephb.org

Re: Cinnamon won't load after update

Post by josephb.org »

No luck. I've gone for the re-install.

Return to “Cinnamon”