Cinnamon problems on Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrogovin

Cinnamon problems on Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]

Post by mrogovin »

I had to wipe and reinstall to correct errors and the system now seems to work ok, except this one carryover.

The panel looks different than in screenshots: I have a mint logo, window icon, then open apps, a networking icon, sound and digital clock. Nothing else. Under the first installation, I sometimes had a full panel with a Menu icon and the word menu, and icons for all kinds of things (notifications, etc). I tried adjusting preferences, and applets for these things are all checked, but there is nothing there. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: panel quirky

Post by xenopeek »

You didn't say, but I'm assuming you are trying to run Cinnamon on a AMD or Nvidia graphics card? If so, you are in fact not running Cinnamon but fallback mode. Fallback mode is used instead of Cinnamon when your graphics card or its drivers don't have hardware accelerated 3D support, as needed by Cinnamon. Usually you can install a different driver from Additional Drivers (either stand-alone program, or a tab in Software Sources). It helps to be specific; it is usually helpful to include your Linux Mint version, processor architecture, and desktop environment, so those wanting to help you can give advice without having to make many assumptions or ask follow up questions.

If you aren't confident about which driver you should install, open your terminal and run the following command. Share the output here (you can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu).

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx
mrogovin

Re: panel quirky

Post by mrogovin »

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry for not proviving enough info in my original post. Here is more info. Mint 14 on a Dell 2400 (Pentium 4 2.2 GHz, 1 GB RAM). The panel did display correctly on occassion, but then stopped. I regret I did not note it at the time and see what was done differently. The monitor is an older 15" CRT if that matters. Here is the output you requested:

System: Host: Beorn Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.7.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Graphics: Card: Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A

The card does support 3D per Intel's site and there are Linux drivers there, but they don't seem specific to a distribution.

Thanks for any suggestions on next steps.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”