Newb question on video drivers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
poguec

Newb question on video drivers

Post by poguec »

I've dabbled with Linux, usually Ubuntu, for years but never really did much too hard.

I'm re-purposing a Lenovo T60 for use at home as a go to laptop for the couch and want to see if the screen resolution is at the max. It's showing 1024x768 now but since I'm the admin at my office I know this laptop can do 1280x1024 running Windows.

So I think I found video drivers from http://intellinuxgraphics.org/ but the instructions to install aren't working. I can do the configure command but the make command fails.

So the newb question, how the heck do you update your video drivers or find out if they are current for what's available?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Newb question on video drivers

Post by jungle_boy »

Open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
Post here the output.

What version of Linux Mint are you installed (LM13, 14, kde, cinnamon, mate, xfce)?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
poguec

Post by poguec »

Such a newb I forgot to include my version information, doy.

Mint 14 Mate is the version and here's the output from the command.

Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 9.0
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
poguec

Post by poguec »

I'll look this over as soon as I can get to the laptop, thanks for the link!
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Ok! :wink:
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”