New KDE SC 4.10

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New KDE SC 4.10

Post by jazz.h »

zerozero wrote: - jazz.h doesn't even has kubuntu/backports in the sources.list and one could (eventually) assume that the upgrade to 4.10 was only partial
Well... yes, I removed manually the specific PPA from the sources list, afterwards I saw your post on the "inxi -r" command and I executed it, but the kubuntu backport was there at the time...
zerozero wrote: i would advise both to open topics to debug the issues
Yes, I agree, I'll open a separate thread for that. Thanks zerozero.
Siarra

Post by Siarra »

Thanks for that zerozero. I used to have bacports source set up already as I was using KDE 4.9.5. It looks that the mess was casued by automatic upgrade of kernel, experimental Nvidia 310.14 and KDE 4.10 at the same time. Mint update had displayed new updates and I just entered root pass without even looking what is listed there. Other KDE upgrades since 4.9.0 went smoothly so I didn't really bother to check if there is new kernel or Nvidia driver listed as there was over 200 packages on the list ;) Will try to "unmess" it in some way.

Thanks again
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Just did the upgrade to KDE 4.10 following zerozero's instructions. The final dist-upgrade finished cleanly. Rebooted into a nice-working new KDE. Thanks for making it so easy.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tdockery97 wrote:Thanks for making it so easy.
you're welcome :D
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Installed it and yes, I also suddenly have a new wallpaper when logging in. Is that the change we were waiting for? I didn't.
Dolphin: still no variable icons in the places menu. Yes, they can be set to one of 4 fixed values but that is not the same. Why was it changed? Why??
Renaming files and folders: still not back to the way it was: a separate small window where the name could be changed. So totally different from all other DE's, making KDE stand out, far above the others. Now it is just one of the others. "In-line" renaming is the new thing! Lose it, cause it looks terrible.

No, the developers did find something to change. Wow, great change. Only one in the totally wrong direction. When copying a file, at the right side of the lower panel you see a circle being filled up. It used to be, and I loved that since it was very clear, a circle which was filled up in a circular movement. Now the circle is filled up from left to right.
Are these the kind of changes we are waiting for? Is that all the developers do? Breaking down what was good, breaking down the looks and feel of KDE? Don't have they other things to do? 4.8 was good, then the developers started to lose interest in what they were doing, didn't know anymore what to change so they came up with these nonsense.
I hate Gnome since version 3 so I don't want to go back there, but staying here using KDE is something which gets harder and harder since, just as with Gnome who killed Gnome 2, KDE is killing KDE 4. Breaking it down stone by stone.
Shame. It was so good.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

@DeMus - My experience is that I find 4.10 much better than the previous edition i used except for few glitches.
I kinna like the new feature where widgets could be added to screensaver. Also, the widgets as such look smoother and desktop doesnt crash often. Nepomuk has improved a lot and is not as buggy as it used to be.

BTW, In-line renaming could be configured in Dolphin settings.

Check this out for an elaborate positive review.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

zerozero wrote:it should work (but...
Thanks for the tip. I've had a long-held derision for KDE but decided to try 4.10 using your instructions. It installed a treat.

I've since managed to configure KDE to look just the way I want it. I think I'll use it permanently instead of Cinnamon.

Cheers.
[img=http://s14.postimage.org/e39bdmx8h/snapshot1.png]
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

If you find Amarok crashing like for me went to Clementine which is slimmer & older Amarok 2.4
But with KDE fell in love with the right click title bar
More Actions>Special Window settings for ticking off Remember Size & Position.
Quite a time saver for me.

And built in desktop effects are nice tho only use Cube for changing virtual workspaces with the mouse wheel is a time saver.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

TehGhodTrole wrote:Thanks for the tip
you're welcome :)
ayaz99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ayaz99 »

I upgraded from KDE 4.9 to 4.10 last weekend, as suggested by zerozero, everything went smooth. I love the plasma desktop environment, it really looks and feel great like silk. Thanks for sharing awesome desktop environment.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep nice seeing people getting great help to make transitions upgrades to their DE.
But was wondering if any know that there will be a Mint 15 KDE and default 4.10?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

But was wondering if any know that there will be a Mint 15 KDE and default 4.10?
A Mint 15 KDE release is planned.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Orbmiser wrote:Yep nice seeing people getting great help to make transitions upgrades to their DE.
4.10 is atm already in raring's repo so it will make certainly to olivia kde
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Thanks for the info and thought that would be the case.

Tho can't seem to make up my mind as in Cinnamon 14 presently. Seems I change every couple of weeks after updating & refreshing then mirror backup and install other.

Just love Cinnamon & KDE. Ohhh well nothing saying I can't have both setup and raring to go :P
littlenoodles

Post by littlenoodles »

Is there any downside to adding the ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports repository? What happens when 4.10 hits the main repositories - or does Mint not provide version bumps via the main repositories - would i have to wait for Mint 15 for that?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mint 14 and ubuntu 12.10 won't have kde 4.10 in the regular repos
littlenoodles

Post by littlenoodles »

zerozero wrote:mint 14 and ubuntu 12.10 won't have kde 4.10 in the regular repos
Ouch. I guess I'm spoiled (I'm a recent convert from PCLinuxOS, which keeps everything up to date via its rolling update policy). So when would KDE 4.10 be expected in Mint. At the next OS release (13.4)? Are Mint version upgrades relatively painless operations?

If I go with the backports, are other things likely to work unpredictably down the road? i.e. is the backports path for those who like adventure?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

next mint version is mint 15 and will bring kde 4.10.* by default.
there's no upgrade path (not one recommended anyway) in mint; fresh re-installations are the recommended procedure.
from this topic you can see that this backport is working fairly well for most; i would recommend follow my instructions near the beginning of the topic though
ayaz99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ayaz99 »

Just wondering how to download upgrades of 4.10.1 http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.10.1.php for those who are on KDE 4.10 SC?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Just wait as usually a delay until they trickle down and get into the repo's.
And not available just yet. But a a day or two is no biggy.

Return to “Software & Applications”