Nadia. Why does fstab prevent FIlemanager(Caja)? SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Nadia. Why does fstab prevent FIlemanager(Caja)? SOLVED

Post by pgmer6809 »

Hi,
I have two disks with a total of about 6 data partitions between them.
If I do not have any entries for them in the /etc/fstab (except for / of course) then the filemanager app (caja?) shows their labels in the LHS pane. And when I click on those labels, it mounts them for me and puts an icon on the desk top.
Very convenient.
But if I put an entry for these partitions in /etc/fstab it prevents caja from even showing the partitons in the LHS pane.
EVEN if the partitons are not mounted. ie. i put a 'noauto' in the options string.

any idea why that is?
pgmer6809
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nadia. Why does fstab prevent FIlemanager(Caja)?

Post by altair4 »

But if I put an entry for these partitions in /etc/fstab it prevents caja from even showing the partitons in the LHS pane.
That depends on where you mounted it. If you mounted it to /media or your home folder then it should list it on the caja panel. If you mounted it any where else like /mnt for example then it's still on the panel - within the "File System" link under /mnt.

You can keep them under /mnt and have them on the panel by creating bookmarks to them - Caja > Bookmarks > Add Bookmark

If you use the "noauto" option you have removed caja's ability to do much of anything with it as well as preventing it from auto-mounting.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “MATE”