Printer issues. Please help

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
africanlion

Printer issues. Please help

Post by africanlion »

I am running Linux 13 Maya and an Epson Stylus Photo RX640. Couple of issues

As soon as i switch on printer (usually off) it starts printing the ame photo that i tried printing last week. In addition to this the computer becomes virtually unuseable and the mouse freezes and i get a message warning me about a script. Everything just seems to freeze even the movieplayer i use for playing music while working

Also when printing photos and other colur documents the printed work is far off the original especially photos and the photo looks smudged andthe printer takes forever while it was never like this when i used Windows. Desperate :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Printer issues. Please help

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

Have you try the driver from Epson Download Center ? I have T13 and it perform better with the new driver.
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

lahirdenganselamat wrote:Have you try the driver from Epson Download Center ? I have T13 and it perform better with the new driver.
Thank you for your reply. I have downloaded the drivers

However is there anything i can download that will give me an interface to control the Epson 3 in 1. I mean so i can use all the available fascilities on it like OCR scanning. As it is i only have the option of Simple Scan :cry:
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Epson RX640 use Epson's iscan programme to scan

Post by pdc_2 »

if you go here

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

and type in RX640

you get the thumbnail below

if you click on scanner driver, you get to this

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... d8b481d435

and you start at the bottom of the list and download and install iscan-data_1.22.0-1_all.deb (Data Package and Epson say: install first)

then iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb (if you have 32bit system;.....ltd7 is for current kernels)

then userg_revQ_e.pdf ............as this is the English language PDF document that tells you all you ever wanted to know about IScan..........Epson's scanner programme ..

.......and you get iscan to run.............by...........
iscan
in a terminal; you can thereafter create a launcher to launch it each time

OCR in linux would be a separate programme...........I would think........

Opening iscan should allow you tweak endless settings to your heart's content........ see the PDF file for details
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

@ Ppdc-2 how do i run iscan in the terminal? tried "iscan but nothing happened, it gave me back this below

And how do i create a launcher for it please

Code: Select all

No command 'iscan' found, did you mean:
 Command 'bscan' from package 'bacula-sd-pgsql' (main)
 Command 'bscan' from package 'bacula-sd-sqlite3' (main)
 Command 'bscan' from package 'bacula-sd-mysql' (main)
 Command 'pscan' from package 'pscan' (universe)
 Command 'scan' from package 'dvb-apps' (universe)
 Command 'scan' from package 'nmh' (universe)
 Command 'scan' from package 'mailutils-mh' (universe)
 Command 'hscan' from package 'ganeti-htools' (universe)
 Command 'uscan' from package 'devscripts' (main)
 Command 'qscan' from package 'qpxtool' (universe)
iscan: command not found
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

No command 'iscan' found
And how do i create a launcher for it please
you need iscan to be installed on your system

if you copy and paste this into a terminal
sudo dpkg -l | grep iscan
that will ask for any iscan installed

let's establish that first
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

here is what i got

Code: Select all

ii  iscan                                         2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7                   simple, easy to use scanner utility for EPSON scanners
ii  iscan-data                                    1.22.0-1                                Image Scan! for Linux data files
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Epson RX640 use Epson's iscan programme to scan

Post by pdc_2 »

..........well it seems you have iscan installed!

.....so if you again open a terminal, and type
iscan
............ you get the result...........command not found?

.......if you have Gimp installed, iscan should open through gimp

go to File ......Create.........and somewhere down on the dropdown menu list......should be iscan

..........any joy?
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

iscan is now working 8) thanks

However the problem of the printer printing the same picture still persists and the computer becoming slow. What could be causing this
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

iscan is now working
............great ..............well done............. tell us what you did to make it work the second time......always helpful to hear........

______________________________________________________________________________________
As soon as i switch on printer (usually off) it starts printing the ame photo that i tried printing last week.
well if we first of all see what printer driver you have installed

1) if you copy and paste this command
sudo dpkg -l | grep epson-inkjet-printer
............we are looking for something like epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.2.2-1lsb3.2
and i get a message warning me about a script.
2) .......can you tell us a little more about this ..........

3) can you go to Menu: Administration: Printing and open that box; leave it open;

4) then go to Menu: Accessories: Take Screenshot ........... open that .....in the dialogue box select "Select area to grab" .........it will save the image back to your desktop ..

...............maybe save it as Printing.png as it is the Printer Settings Box that we want you to capture a photo of

.......and under this page where you write your reply you can see "Upload attachment": you need to
a) browse for the filename
b) Add the file !!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Could you run system-config-printer from Alt-F2, then right-click your printer to show the queue? Maybe the document is still there.

Also, if you installed the printing driver after the printer got added, you need to change the make/model in system-config-printer and specify the Epson driver there.

Just for future reference, download links for driver DEB files for both 32- and 64-bit are also found here: https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ep ... hoto_RX640

Also, note that a scanning driver for use with the default "Scanning" program is preinstalled. You can use iscan of course but the Scanning program in the menu (simple-scan) will work too.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

ii epson-inkjet-printer-escpr 1.2.2-1lsb3.2 Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

AlbertP wrote:Could you run system-config-printer from Alt-F2, then right-click your printer to show the queue? Maybe the document is still there.

Also, if you installed the printing driver after the printer got added, you need to change the make/model in system-config-printer and specify the Epson driver there.

Just for future reference, download links for driver DEB files for both 32- and 64-bit are also found here: https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ep ... hoto_RX640

Also, note that a scanning driver for use with the default "Scanning" program is preinstalled. You can use iscan of course but the Scanning program in the menu (simple-scan) will work too.

The job queue is now empty since it printed the last photo
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks; so you have the correct printer driver installed

to what extent do you feel able to do 3) and 4) in my previous post so we can see what printer drivers you have installed.
The job queue is now empty since it printed the last photo
and are you still getting the issues you described in your first post
As soon as i switch on printer (usually off) it starts printing the ame photo that i tried printing last week.
and
Also when printing photos and other colur documents the printed work is far off the original especially photos and the photo looks smudged andthe printer takes forever
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

Everythinf seems to be working now

Just curious when installing drivers is the printer supposed to be connected to the computer or not?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Everything seems to be working now
great; enjoy
Just curious when installing drivers is the printer supposed to be connected to the computer or not?
......it depends!! .............if installing drivers from the manufacturer: eg Brother, Canon,Epson etc................if you leave the printer off, then your computer does not try to auto-install an open source driver that it thinks is the right one for you ..

.......with the install scripts of Canon, they assume printer off as you start their script; half-way though the script will ask you to turn the printer on; (and for those with wifi, ask if the connection is going to be USB or wifi............)

............whereas if you want Mint to offer you something from its selection, you leave the printer on for the computer to find it ...........does that sound reasonable?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Usually on Linux, you can first install the driver and then connect the printer, because it might pick another driver for your printer if you connect the printer before installing the software. But many printers (not your one) just work without having a vendor driver installed, and if Linux picked the wrong driver you can easily remove the printer from system-config-printer and then reconnect it to have it added again with the new driver.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
africanlion

Post by africanlion »

So is there a way of ensuring the printer maintains a good fidelity of the original pics especially colour. Sometimes they look blocthed or like there has been a colour run :cry: :cry:

Return to “Printers & Scanners”