Error: Invalid environment block

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baphijmm

Error: Invalid environment block

Post by Baphijmm »

I just built a new computer, been trying to install Mint 14 on it with Cinnamon (will eventually go back to my old staple of Fluxbox, but obviously the CE hasn't quite caught up yet); however, every time I try to reboot, I get the error message in the subject. After some research, this appears to be a problem concerning GRUB and the way it communicates with Ubuntu; however, one of the proposed fixes didn't seem to do much of anything, and the most commonly-proposed one, upon reboot, proceeded to tell me that the actions I'd performed, the necessary binaries no longer existed, and refused to boot again. (I'm talking cd, rm, and other rather important ones.) I'm on my third re-installation and it seems to be semi-stable now, but seriously, is there an actual way around this problem? It's basically made this computer entirely useless.

For reference, it appears that, if I run the proposed program updates and reboot, the "Press any key to continue..." prompt locks up the computer; otherwise, if I don't update anything, that prompt will allow the machine to reboot. Obviously, this inconsistency is, in itself, another problem, but it might be a symptom. Any clues I could get would be just super.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Baphijmm

Re: Error: Invalid environment block

Post by Baphijmm »

Aaaanyone at all? Any thoughts? This is kind of a serious thing. If GRUB can't handle something that is by no means broken, it kinda needs to be dealt with.
Baphijmm

Post by Baphijmm »

Gonna try this one more time. I've gotten lucky for the past few weeks in that the local power grid hasn't crapped out on me, thus forcing me to reboot this thing. Seriously, is there no available fix out there?
Baphijmm

Post by Baphijmm »

One more try to get anyone to look at this. Went away for a week, power went out while I was gone, and now the machine is inoperable because of this stupid-ass error that no one seems to know how to fix. I'm posting from the freaking LiveCD. If there is not a fix for this obviously fatal flaw, why was it released?
ozeroc

Post by ozeroc »

I had the same issue and I just used Boot Repair from the Live CD:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Worked. I've had to do this twice already on my dual-boot gaming notebook. Hopefully I don't need to do this often or I may need to find a better Linux Distro... Normally I'd say Linux Mint is awesome!
Baphijmm

Post by Baphijmm »

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing that's gotten me through this, and I've had to do it multiple times as well. I'm surprised no one from the dev team has replied to this thread yet. :V
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Well, I used the Boot Repair disc too; it claimed to fix GRUB, but the error message came back again. Fortunately, it always boots up successfully after pressing 'any key'. It's amazing that there have been so few responses and even more surprising that no-one has fixed this yet. It seems to apply across the board - in my case Xfce15 on a desktop.

Return to “Installation & Boot”