High pitch tone causing Interference

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MattyC157

High pitch tone causing Interference

Post by MattyC157 »

Hello
I have been using Linux for around a year now and I'm not sure whether this is Hardware or Software problem.
I often am on Skype and playing Games at the same time and when I load a game or anything intensive i can hear a quite high pitch tone coming from inside my PC. I have narrowed the sound down and believe it is the Hard Drive.
This high pitch tone also goes through my microphone as interference and my friends can hear it over skype.
This problem does not occur when I am using windows.
I was wondering if there was any diagnostics i could check and see whether this is hardware or software fault.
I have already tried uninstalling alsamixer and other sound drivers and graphics drivers, which did nothing.
I have also factory reset my Bios to make sure there was no conflict happening there.
I was just wonder if there was anything i could try and run diagnostics or troubleshoot to just avoid the problem
Thankyou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bad Boy Bubby

Re: High pitch tone causing Interference

Post by Bad Boy Bubby »

Hi

I have a similar problem but I am quite sure it is the video card giving out interference as it only occurs when in games and certain things are being displayed. I have tried moving my video card to another slot and using an additional sound card and shielding between the two but nothing seems to prevent the interference. I think it is a hardware issue and I'm not sure there is much to be done about it. :| Maybe if your card is new you could try and get it swapped as a fault.

Bubby
MattyC157

Post by MattyC157 »

This happened with my old video card and does not happen when in windows
I have installed Windows 7 and everything is completely fine whilst playing games.
I think it has something to do with the Graphics Drivers.
Is there anyway to install older drivers which are stable and i could try to sort out this problem?
MattyC157

Post by MattyC157 »

Bump?
Why is this interference only happening on Linux and not Windows
I believe it not to be a hardware issue due to this

Return to “Beginner Questions”