Thinkpad T530 -> Randomly Freezes

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ReneS

Re: Thinkpad T530 -> Randomly Freezes

Post by ReneS »

zerozero wrote:
ReneS wrote:Or you jump on the Ubuntu/Mint wagon and go with a later version and that should work for you.
why? when there's an easy to use option and compatible with lmde what's the reasoning of such recommendation?
Depends on the preference of the user. Might be ok for us three here but other people reading this might not be that skilled. Which also drives me nuts all the time because basically no install ever works for a straight forward mass market notebook without the support of Google and hundreds of web pages... and yes, I am a computer scientist and make my money with that. That's what preventing Linux from going wide in the market. But that is another topic and does not belong into this thread.

Bottom line: Do what you think is right. Either optional kernel install, wait for the fix, or switch RC6 off. Whatever makes you happy.

tanith: Just use a live CD/USB stick of a more recent distro of your choice. That saves you time. I was able to reproduce that by using Filezilla (which is odd, but it does a lot of graphics stuff once in a while) and could reliable freeze my system. So heavy copying of large ftp structures did the trick for me and provoked it. RC6=0 solved that and I could not freeze the machine anymore. I upgraded to 12.10 for other reasons but solved RC6 by accident as well.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ReneS,
you see the header there in the top of the page?
says LinuxMint, right? got it? if 12.10 fixes it (and it does, uses a kernel where the bug is solved) mint 14 nadia also fixes.
and for us here mint is a better option than ubuntu :D
ReneS

Post by ReneS »

zerozero wrote:ReneS,
you see the header there in the top of the page?
says LinuxMint, right? got it? if 12.10 fixes it (and it does, uses a kernel where the bug is solved) mint 14 nadia also fixes.
and for us here mint is a better option than ubuntu :D
Hence my line said Ubuntu/Mint :) and he is using Debian... the mother of both.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ReneS wrote:and he is using Debian... the mother of both.
:P :wink:
tanith

Post by tanith »

I think I may have even tracked down why the problem did not appear during weekend only just now.
On this site they link an article in a forum and this guys basically says that it definitely causes issues when you enable VT-d. Well, guess what I forgot to enable during the weekend and only came around to enabling today (that is if my memory does not fail me and I actually DID enable it on Sunday or Saturday).
So this is maybe another thing to look out for. If you are unlike me and don't need virtualisation for your virtualbox then disable VT-d in your BIOS and maybe it will fix the problem. :)
ReneS

Post by ReneS »

zerozero wrote:and for us here mint is a better option than ubuntu :D
Last one before I go to bed... shouldn't the Linux community refrain from fighting religious wars about the flavor/distro? Shouldn't we focus on the other side instead? I do not care what Linux flavor someone is using as long as it is Linux or FreeBSD. At the end of the day it is mostly a large pool we can harvest from together... and we should do our best to keep it that way.
tanith wrote:then disable VT-d in your buys and maybe it will fix the problem
I tried that one as well. Played with all BIOS settings, but did not do it for me. Maybe I missed the "right" combination.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tanith wrote:I think I may have even tracked down why the problem did not appear during weekend only just now.
i hope/wish it is that simple.
i only experienced the freezing for 2-3 days (basically to check if this hardware was affected - it was :mrgreen: ) but couldn't never set a relation between freeze and tasks (could happen idle, under load, with and without FF, with and without compositing) or frequency.
i know that the upgrade to liquorix solved it completely.
tanith

Post by tanith »

zerozero wrote:
tanith wrote:I think I may have even tracked down why the problem did not appear during weekend only just now.
i hope/wish it is that simple.
i only experienced the freezing for 2-3 days (basically to check if this hardware was affected - it was :mrgreen: ) but couldn't never set a relation between freeze and tasks (could happen idle, under load, with and without FF, with and without compositing) or frequency.
i know that the upgrade to liquorix solved it completely.
Righht, I will definitely keep that in mind.
Turning off VT-d is definitely not a long-term option and according to ReneS it may not even cause the problem.
I now included i915.i915_enable_rc6=0 in /etc/default/grub and want to see how it works out but the tricky part is to actullay cause a situation which would freeze the system which is difficult because it either worked and the system will not freeze or it didn't work but it never got into a situation where it had to freeze. I guess both options work but the first one is definitely more preferable and the only long-term solution.

I'm really not that keen on reinstalling the system at the moment so Ubuntu is basically the last option I'd try. Installing liquorix sounds like a good idea but then again - I have no idea who maintains that kernel and how badly it can break my system; installing packages from foreign repositories is actually really unwise (unless you know and trust the people behind it - but then again: how much would you trust the people from mint, or how much do I trust the people from debian?), probably doubly so when it's the kernel we are talking about. Do you have any information on that? :)
tanith

Post by tanith »

Well, it froze.

I think I will try turning off virtualisation but that is kinda not a long-term option so I am looking towards upgrading to a newer kernel, although I have not much experience with that and am not quite sure about how to do that.
You mentioned that sid is getting a kernel update?
Is there an ETA for that somewhere?
That information would be appreciated. :)
tanith

Post by tanith »

Well, it also froze with virtualisation off, so I will have to either upgrade the kernel and/or try a different distro.
Or send the machine back. :/ (I guess I'll try switching off the Intel card completely before that so as to rule out that it's actually something else.)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tanith wrote:You mentioned that sid is getting a kernel update?
Is there an ETA for that somewhere?
what i know is this
I expect to release 3.2.39 on Tuesday, having started the review cycle
this evening. This should include fixes for CVE-2013-0216,
CVE-2013-0217, CVE-2013-0228 and CVE-2013-0871.

Would it be OK to upload a package based on that shortly after? Are
there any other urgent fixes?

Ben.
regarding liquorix (your previous question) it all boils down to trust: he is around for long, a lot of people uses the builds he does, some are happy with it, some not but i never heard about any security issue.
aboozar

Post by aboozar »

I have exactly same problem with Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Windows7/Fedora/Debian7/... on Thinkpad T530 with SSD Corsair 240gb GS and Intel 180gb but nor with SSD Corsair 128gb GS (maybe 1 per one or two month) !!!
All these SSDs works perfectly on Thinkpad T61 with same OS (condition).
I believe that It didn't related to OS it's hardware compatibility issue between T530's main board and some SSD disks.
I've tried more than 15 solutions but none of them fixed the problem!!!
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

This thread is 22 months old
If you have a question,please start a new thread with it

Return to “LMDE Archive”