panel is gone / Alt+Tab doesn't work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wolfson

panel is gone / Alt+Tab doesn't work

Post by Wolfson »

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Linux and completely new to Linux Mint ;)
I'm running Linux Mint 14 Mate on my desktop and up to yesterday everything was fine. I then tried to download different themes of which some did not really work. Also I installed wine and a windows-program. Today, I started the computer again and an empty desktop was provided from the system.
  • The wallpaper was gone
  • the panel including the menu disappeared
  • I can't switch between programs with ALT+TAB anymore
I tried to find the solution by searching this forum as well as the internet but didn't succeed so far. One point seems really strange to me:
When I right-click on the desktop and open the "change background of the desktop" (I'm not sure if it's the correct translation to english), the window is called Cinnamon-settings! I thought I'm running Mate???

Another thing: I figured out, I can start the panel by opening a terminal with CTRL+ALT+T and then enter "mate-panel". But it disappears again when I close the terminal and ALT+TAB still does not work.

Also I tried to install the .deb-packages suggested here but two of them had errors during installation due to dependencies to packages of which my system has different versions :(

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
g-banjo

Re: panel is gone / Alt+Tab doesn't work

Post by g-banjo »

Exactly the same thing has happened to me! Did you find a solution?
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: panel is gone / Alt+Tab doesn't work

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Wolfson & gbanjo

did you try using the terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

mate-panel --reset
or

Code: Select all

sudo mate-panel --reset