Android SDK not installing?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stuligan

Android SDK not installing?

Post by stuligan »

so, I've downloaded the SDK package from the android developer website, and it comes in a zip format. I extracted the zip file to a folder (of my choosing, in this case, my home folder where docs, downloads, etc are) and when I run the exe file it starts up and asks where I'd like to place the workspace...so I select the folder 'code' that I have created in my Documents folder. I hit ok and then nothing happens! What's going on? hahaha
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
meteorrock

Re: Android SDK not installing?

Post by meteorrock »

If you are getting an .exe to open on the Android SDK you did not install the correct one. Mine came in a .zip also that extracted the tools nativity for linux. It comes with an eclipse icon you click on for that interface inside of the "eclipse" folder after extraction. Mine was called the "adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip" since I got a 64 bit computer. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

The android platform tools themselves do not have any .exe for you to open, either. Lets look over this link above for you to start developing on. It should be called an "ADT bundle for linux" if you are downloading it from your Linux mint build through a browser.

Just extract it in your home folder with your archive extractor that comes with linux mint or change directory into the folder you want it in after downloading. Two folders will extract, one will be labeled "eclipse" and the other will be labeled "sdk", that folder has the platform tools in it for building android modules and such. Just move it into your home directory and double click on it and it will extract into its own self made folder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then open up your eclipse folder and click on that icon in there, after it is extracted, eclipse is piggybacked on the other android sdk tools and will set it up for you with its own onboard repository for its own tools.

Hope that helps you. :)
stuligan

Post by stuligan »

Wow that was extremely well explained, I'll try it when I get home. I really appreciate your input! Thanks so much!
stuligan

Post by stuligan »

meteorrock wrote: Just extract it in your home folder with your archive extractor that comes with linux mint or change directory into the folder you want it in after downloading. Two folders will extract, one will be labeled "eclipse" and the other will be labeled "sdk", that folder has the platform tools in it for building android modules and such. Just move it into your home directory and double click on it and it will extract into its own self made folder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then open up your eclipse folder and click on that icon in there, after it is extracted, eclipse is piggybacked on the other android sdk tools and will set it up for you with its own onboard repository for its own tools.

Hope that helps you. :)
So to be clear, I move the sdk folder into the home directory and then extract it, where it makes it's own folder? And then after, that's when I open eclipse folder and start up eclipse?
stuligan

Post by stuligan »

So this is the error log I got:

Code: Select all

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f01281a92c0, pid=5382, tid=139643284420352
#
# JRE version: 7.0_13-b20
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libgobject-2.0.so.0+0x192c0]  g_object_get_qdata+0x20
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please include
# instructions on how to reproduce the bug and visit:
#   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-7/
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Still not sure I guess with what I'm doing wrong :S
stuligan

Post by stuligan »

Another error, once I actually got a workspace started up:

Stopping ADB server failed (code -1).
Unable to run 'adb': Cannot run program "/home/stuart/Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/adb": error=2, No such file or directory.
Starting ADB server failed (code -1).
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

That open JDK that comes with linux mint was not playing nice for me for Android SDK. I had to install the Oracle Java runtime environment to get it up and running right along with Android SDK with Eclipse.

Try to purge open JDK and replace it with the Oracle java runtime environment with these commands in the terminal. I got this in another thread here but I will copy paste it in here for you and others looking into development.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Preparing your system:

First you need to remove openjdk for this run the following command from your terminal

sudo apt-get purge openjdk*

If you installed java 7 from any other PPA and you are having problem with java then you have to do following steps before installing the PPA mentioned here:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/oracle-java7-installer*

sudo apt-get purge oracle-java7-installer*

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*java*

sudo apt-get update
NOW : Install oracle java 7 in Linux Mint 14.1

Open the terminal and run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully that will help your Android SDK run correctly with the oracles Java runtime environment along with its tools.
stuligan

Post by stuligan »

So I did all those steps, however it still does not allow me to change the workspace to any folder I want...it has to basically be in the root directory. Also, when I place it in the root directory, I still get an error upon opening saying that it couldn't find the adb file in the sdk folder...

EDIT: it's apparently looking for the adb version...but the zip file did not have one included? weird.
stuligan

Post by stuligan »

YAY! I got it working! hahaha
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Great news ! Now you can start developing gamesssss. lol. Don't forget to port your gaming work for linux users too :wink:

Return to “Software & Applications”