Mint-X-Clours Cinnamon/MATE/XFCE/LXDE theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unheeding

Mint-X-Clours Cinnamon/MATE/XFCE/LXDE theme

Post by unheeding »

This is the default green theme that has been modified to be blue instead of green. Looks great with Faenza Cupertino icons!

Download here

To install, extract archive to ~/.themes/ (create the directory if it doesn't exist).

In Cinnamon, go to Cinnamon Settings -> Themes -> GTK Theme -> Select Mint-X-Blue

Let me know if there are any issues with this, I just whipped it up because I wanted it and it didn't exist for Cinnamon/GTK3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
unheeding

Re: Mint-X-Blue Cinnamon/MATE/XFCE/LXDE theme

Post by unheeding »

I've updated the theme, and included a way to have applications launched using sudo have red controls.

Here's an example:

In the foreground with red controls is the MDM configuration tool (as root). In the background is Cinnamon Settings (as user) with blue controls.

It is also possible to do green/red, if someone wants me to hack it up for them I can do it.

It would also be super cool if we had red controls for sudo applications by default in Linux Mint. One can dream! :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

unheeding wrote:I've updated the theme, and included a way to have applications launched using sudo have red controls.
this is a really great idea 8)
unheeding

Post by unheeding »

zerozero wrote:
unheeding wrote:I've updated the theme, and included a way to have applications launched using sudo have red controls.
this is a really great idea 8)

I was inspired by things like this, where when you logged into the GUI as root back in the day, it would show a red wallpaper with bombs on it.
KirbySmith

Re: Mint-X-Clours Cinnamon/MATE/XFCE/LXDE theme

Post by KirbySmith »

Thank you for this, it almost matches the blue of my azure desktop (backgrounds - wallpaper - advanced options) , that is, your blue color is just a smidge away from azure towards teal. I guess if I studied the style sheets long enough I could determine what setting to tweak.

Is there a format description somewhere accessible that establishes the format of the style sheets used for themes?

kirby
unheeding

Post by unheeding »

KirbySmith wrote:Thank you for this, it almost matches the blue of my azure desktop (backgrounds - wallpaper - advanced options) , that is, your blue color is just a smidge away from azure towards teal. I guess if I studied the style sheets long enough I could determine what setting to tweak.

Is there a format description somewhere accessible that establishes the format of the style sheets used for themes?

kirby
If you go through these files:

../gtk-3.0/settings.ini
../gtk-3.0/gtk.css
../gtk-2.0/gtkrc

And find all instances of #398ee7 and replace it with the colour of your choosing, it should do the trick. You would have to change the colour of the items in the "assets" folder in the gtk-3.0 folder and the "radiocheck" folder of gtk-2.0 using GIMP to edit those.

edit: Oh, and the GNOME website has reference information for the various files. But if you're just changing the colours you shouldn't really need them.
KirbySmith

Post by KirbySmith »

Thank you very much, unheeding.

kirby

P.S. I haven't had any issues with functionality.
KirbySmith

Re: Mint-X-NeuBlue Cinnamon/MATE/XFCE/LXDE theme

Post by KirbySmith »

That worked out pretty well, in general. For the small components, the trick was to find a web site that can transform from rgb-base 10 to rgb-base 16 to HSL, then one has to offset that result to Gimp's offset HSL to colorize the component.

There is one anomaly, however, in the larger structure. While most places where the new blue is expected are presented as that color, tagging files or folders in Nemo yields a much darker blue color, almost black. This is also true of tagging text in gedit. I thought that perhaps somewhere a high factor shade command was in play, but couldn't find it among the style sheets and rc files. Mint-X produces a reasonable green for these two actions, and Mint-X-Blue yields a bright blue. I have scrutinized the changes and see no errors in color replacment for "NeuBlue", which is a rather modest color shift. (398ee7 --> 3a6ea5)

I would appreciate any clues to where Nemo and gedit take their color from. GNOME.org has a lot of documentation, but nothing I found that would answer "this color comes from here."

Thanks

kirby

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”