System read-only files error

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
batracomiomacheuta

Post by batracomiomacheuta »

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie both in the forum and on linux mint.
I would ask you for help, but I'm not sure this is the right category. Please tell me if it's wrong.

So here's my problem: I had an asus eee pc with win 7, so i deleted everything and put linux mint 14 with Xfce on it. At first there was only one partition, but soon with a little gparted live there where three, The one with mint, one with jolicloud and one in FAT32 for storage (and swap of course).
Only thing, Mint started not working (probably because of some mistake that I made trying to learn things).
My first thaught -> format.
But then, horror! Every single file in my pc is now system read-only and I don't know why, storage partition folder included, so nothing goes in and nothing comes out. I wnted to move my files in the new FAT32 partition, but now it's not possible, and I don't really want to lose my stuff.
As if this was not enough, my joli username and password (OS value, not net value), started not working, so i can access joli only as a guest.
I tried using chmod (sudo chmod 777 -R "File/Foldername") but since they're SYSTEM read-only, I couldn't do a thing.

So please, is there any good soul in this wasteland of bits who can rescue me?
Thank you in advance for your time.
p.s.: I'm logged in as batracomiomacheuta but batrax will do just fine (also sorry for my english, it's not my first language)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
batracomiomacheuta

Post by batracomiomacheuta »

Ok, news up.
My files, who once magically became system read-only, are now back to their previous status of normal files. Don't ask how or why.
So the only problem left (jolicloud is gone) is the storage partition, but it doesn't want to cooperate.
Anyway, since nobody answered, I think I can manage to solve this problem on my own.

See you pals.

Return to “Beginner Questions”