Ubuntu Tablet

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Ubuntu Tablet

Post by KBD47 »

I've not been impressed by much that Ubuntu has done in the last while, but if their tablet OS works as described, and if they can actually get some hardware vendors on board, this may be impressive.
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Ubuntu Tablet

Post by tdockery97 »

It's going to be really interesting to see how well they compete with the Android market.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I managed to get a "for Testing" release of Ubuntu for Tablets yesterday.

I tried for hours to get it installed onto my Nexus-7 Tablet to no avail.
The Installer/Loader kept hanging on one file. :(

I'm sure I'll get it installed - eventually. I'll keep you informed as to my progress.

NOTE: I didn't need to "Root" or unlock the Nexus Tablet, Ubuntu runs in its own Virtualbox.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

For a short while yesterday it seemed they already had a hardware partner onboard in HTC, as the countdown clocks on their website were in sync. That turned out to be false, so today's announcement is disappointing in that respect. It confirms the direction Canonical is taking Ubuntu in (e.g., they want to be the next Apple), and you can do with that news what you want.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Well, if that is the case, I think we should be cheering them on. If they succeed, it is a success story for Linux. And all indications are that they will keep their Linux free software operations going. They still state on their website that Ubuntu is free, and always will be.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

The UI looks interesting and smart, but I'm disappointed there was nothing to actually reveal other than a concept, bit of a pointless announcement.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Id like to see Mint on a tablet :oops:

now that is a tablet i would gladly buy :mrgreen:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:It's going to be really interesting to see how well they compete with the Android market.
I think it is hard to beat Android on a tablet. Their best bet might be to get onto some of the low level China white box tablets like Cruz who don't have access to the Google Play store. Ubuntu would be an improvement on such a crippled device. Ubuntu has to offer something fresh, and the interface sounds promising. I like the idea of being able to open and easily access more than one app, plus the ability to hide everything. A 7" tablet has very little real estate, so hiding everything would be nice.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

vrkalak wrote:I managed to get a "for Testing" release of Ubuntu for Tablets yesterday.

I tried for hours to get it installed onto my Nexus-7 Tablet to no avail.
The Installer/Loader kept hanging on one file. :(

I'm sure I'll get it installed - eventually. I'll keep you informed as to my progress.

NOTE: I didn't need to "Root" or unlock the Nexus Tablet, Ubuntu runs in its own Virtualbox.
Yes, please do. It will be important to find a way to easily get this onto tablets, and if it could done without rooting that would be great. I also hope Ubuntu will get some hardware vendors on board.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:Well, if that is the case, I think we should be cheering them on. If they succeed, it is a success story for Linux. And all indications are that they will keep their Linux free software operations going. They still state on their website that Ubuntu is free, and always will be.
I think if tablets become as big as it looks like, it will be very important to have open source software available for them. I like Google, but I think there should be more options than Apple and Google for tablets. I have doubted Ubuntu's ability to do much with phones because of wireless carriers. But tablets are a different matter, white box tablets from China that run on wifi have begun to flood the market, and a $99 Ubuntu tablet is pretty much an impulse buy for any Linux fan or just the curious :-)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

raymerjacque wrote:Id like to see Mint on a tablet :oops:

now that is a tablet i would gladly buy :mrgreen:
That's what I've been saying :-)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Why would an OS made exclusively for the desktop be better on a tablet than a dedicated touch OS? The Ubuntu concept looks very well constructed and very well thought out, and tailor made for a tablet. MATE/Cinnamon on a tablet would just be daft.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

bimsebasse wrote:Why would an OS made exclusively for the desktop be better on a tablet than a dedicated touch OS? The Ubuntu concept looks very well constructed and very well thought out, and tailor made for a tablet. MATE/Cinnamon on a tablet would just be daft.
I agree. I had in mind something Cinnamon-like. I would love to see what kind of Mintiness Linux Mint could accomplish with a tablet if Clem and team ever decided to take on such a task.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

More about Ubuntu tablet:
http://ars.to/XLC3YG
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep nice if done and works for those wanting Ubuntu on a tablet.
Just don't see the point.

As have a 7" tablet which is mainly for reading and Android readers like my Moon+ pro excels at that function.
Plus specific regional apps that are only available for android like my Multnomah County Library where I can check on holds,reserve search for books,movies,music. Local Trimet Bus schedule look up times & routes for bus. Local News & Weather. Local apps for shopping,sales & restaurants make for specialized local needs that is covered by android.

Those coupled with a saturated library of games that are unique and never see coming to Ubuntu.

So saw the video demo and is intriguing tho unless it also allows android apps & google play just don't see the need for it.
They seem to be pushing the Social Connections sort of thing with it. For me not being a gaggle+,twatter,farcebook user is probably not my cup of tea. Tho wish them success if it fills a need for others.
dee.

Post by dee. »

Stallman has things to say about Ubuntu

http://youtu.be/CP8CNp-vksc

Return to “Chat about Linux”