Linux Mint Newsletter Issue 40 is released

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Linux Mint Newsletter Issue 40 is released

Post by Husse »

Fred

Re: Linux Mint Newsletter Issue 40 is released

Post by Fred »

Husse,

Interesting news letter.... Thanks.

Fred
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

Nice work Husse.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Lot's of useful reading as usual - thanx!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks! Nice work!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Great stuff. :)
Also VIsta must not be doing to well.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/b ... _2009.html
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Great, Adobe joined the LF, now how about a Photoshop for Linux. (sry, but Gimp just doesn't support the plugins that are required to do some of the really advanced graphic design)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

McLovin wrote:Great, Adobe joined the LF, now how about a Photoshop for Linux. (sry, but Gimp just doesn't support the plugins that are required to do some of the really advanced graphic design)
Have you checked this site: http://registry.gimp.org/list_content - It is one of many great Gimp plugin sites.
BTW - Krita has some serious plugins avaliable as well: http://kde-artists.org/views/Krita and http://www.krita-plugins.org/ for starters...
CREA DIEM!

McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Those are good sites, and some really good plugins, but there are some plugins, like the AutoFX suite, and AlienSkin suite, that do some really amazing things, that are just available for Gimp, and there are no open source alternatives unfortunately. But on the flip side of things, there are things that work better in Gimp, like textures, and patterns, that just look better and are easier to accomplish the same thing. So I kind of use a mixture of Gimp, Photoshop, Blender, Sketchup, PhotoImpact, and a few others, to do my artwork.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

McLovin wrote:Those are good sites, and some really good plugins, but there are some plugins, like the AutoFX suite, and AlienSkin suite, that do some really amazing things, that are just available for Gimp, and there are no open source alternatives unfortunately. But on the flip side of things, there are things that work better in Gimp, like textures, and patterns, that just look better and are easier to accomplish the same thing. So I kind of use a mixture of Gimp, Photoshop, Blender, Sketchup, PhotoImpact, and a few others, to do my artwork.
I've been using PaintShop Pro since version 4, so when I switched to Linux, I kept a windows installation just to run PSP 9, wich I was using at the time. Since then I have used PSP X and PSP XI, but nowadays I only use GImp, and I can't find my way around in PSP anymore, weird... :? Familiarity brings clarity I suppose, I'm learning new functions in Gimp everyday, and as far as Krita is concerned, I'm mearly starting out. Profesional Krita users claims that it is Krita and not Gimp that will be the real "Photoshop-killer", mainly because it supports CMYK and 32 bit depth, Iguess time will tell...

**** WOW now that's off topic! ***
CREA DIEM!

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

The day Gimp finally release a single window GUI = the day people start using it and developing it up to a similar standard to Photoshop.

I would say though, that really what Linux needs is a decent easy to use graphics app installed by default. Because even if GIMP were a photoshop killer it would be way over kill for the average computer user to crop some pictures and correct red eye. What Linux needs is something like Paint.net
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

belovedmonster wrote:The day Gimp finally release a single window GUI = the day people start using it and developing it up to a similar standard to Photoshop.
I couldn't agree more!
CREA DIEM!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”