PS command not showing user name

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Talegolas

PS command not showing user name

Post by Talegolas »

Hi,
I recently installed mint 14 on my wife's computer. Everything went smooth and no problems.. the only interesting thing is that when runing the ps command to check for processes, instead of the output showing her username, it displays 1000.

1000 is the first user (non system entries), anyone knows what might be the cause?

Her username is 9 char long if that matters..

thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: PS command not showing user name

Post by catweazel »

Talegolas wrote:instead of the output showing her username, it displays 1000.
1000 is the UID, which is normal. Why are you expecting to see the user name?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

Talegolas wrote: Her username is 9 char long if that matters..
I think that may be what matters, the standard width of the user name column is 8 chars and if it doesn't fit it will show the UID instead. There may be some option to change the width.

I suspect other programs may also not treat her user name properly, historically it was limited to 8 characters.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bjornmu wrote:There may be some option to change the width.

Code: Select all

man ps
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Other topics”