[HOW TO] QQ International on Linux

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Mtk87

[HOW TO] QQ International on Linux

Post by Mtk87 »

Hi to all,
I installed linux Mint while i was in China for work and had quite a big trouble in having QQ working on linux.

I didn't find any guide explaining how to make it work, so i tought that maybe someone was in the same condition of me and needed help.

Tried downloading the beta linux client of QQ: no use.
Tried to install as a wine application and following all the guides araound: stuck at login screen.

Then I found this: WineQQ2012-20120719-Longene.deb (you can download it from here: http://www.longene.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a).

This will give you a functioning chinese QQ client, which, for the rest of the world (me included) could be quite hard to read.

Download the package and install.

Start QQ in chinese to check if it works.

Now type:

Code: Select all

pluma /opt/longene/qq2012/qq2012.sh 
In the editor find this line

INEDEBUG=-all env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/wine  $WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tencent/QQ/Bin/QQ.exe
and change it to

INEDEBUG=-all env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/wine  $WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tencent/QQIntl/Bin/QQ.exe
do the same with this other line:

env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/wine $WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tencent/QQ/Bin/QQ.exe  >$HOME/Longene_qq2012.log 2>&1
modifying it in:

env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/wine $WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tencent/QQIntl/Bin/QQ.exe  >$HOME/Longene_qq2012.log 2>&1
Get yourself an installation of QQ International (I copied the one i have on windows 7, a simple copy and paste, without any particular setting).

Put the folder QQIntl which contains all the files of QQ in

.longene/qq2012/drive_c/Program Files/Tencent
that is found in your home folder.

Now you will have to folers in there, a QQ folder and a QQIntl folder.

Start QQ from the icon in you menu... and... QQ is now in english, and it works (at least the basic functions for chatting).

I tried it on Linux Mint 13 MATE, x64 in dual boot with win7 and it works, QQ International version is 1.4.

Hope somebody will found it useful, if double posted or wrong place, sorry for the error.

Best regards,
Mtk
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [HOW TO] QQ International on Linux

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
HippoMan

Post by HippoMan »

I do find this very useful, Mtk87, and thank you.

I'm wondering if you or anyone else knows how to get QQIntl working without copying an existing, running version of it from a Windows box, since I don't have any machines which run Windows.

In other words, does anyone know of a way to get QQIntl working under Linuxmint 13 using wine and the standard QQIntl installer, rather than utilizing an already installed copy from a Windows machine?

Thanks in advance,
peridox91

Post by peridox91 »

I came across this website it may or may not help: http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/phorum ... 627,113627

Basically, try

sudo dpkg -i linuxqq_v1.0.2-beta1-version-fixed_i386.deb
The website says there has to be a fix (i.e. the official package doesn't work, apparently):

ORIGINAL: http://im.qq.com/qq/linux/download.shtml
FIXED: http://blog.suchasplus.com/downloads/li ... d_i386.deb
martijn.niji

Post by martijn.niji »

HippoMan wrote:I do find this very useful, Mtk87, and thank you.

I'm wondering if you or anyone else knows how to get QQIntl working without copying an existing, running version of it from a Windows box, since I don't have any machines which run Windows.

In other words, does anyone know of a way to get QQIntl working under Linuxmint 13 using wine and the standard QQIntl installer, rather than utilizing an already installed copy from a Windows machine?

Thanks in advance,
This reply might be a little late, but here's a simple way of getting QQIntl...

1. Download QQIntl from Tencent website
2. Use Linux Mint's "Extract here" function from the right mouse menu on the downloaded exe file
3. Inside the directory that's created go to "Program files/Tencent" and simply copy that QQIntl folder

The changes required to the SSH file are a little different from those described here though... (though not much) Here's my SH file that appears to work:

#!/bin/bash

set -e
export LANG=zh_CN.utf8

#Longene Dir
LONGENE_DIR=/opt/longene
#Wine Program Main Dir
WINE_DIR=$LONGENE_DIR/qq2012/wine
#WINPREFIX Dir
WINEPREFIX_DIR=$HOME/.longene/qq2012
#Wine APP Dir
WINEAPP_DIR=$LONGENE_DIR/qq2012
#Current App Dir
QQ2012_DIR=$LONGENE_DIR/qq2012

#Current User
#RUNUSER="`basename $HOME `"
RUNUSER=`whoami`
PACKAGE_NAME=wine-qq2012-longeneteam

#QQ_USER_DIR="$WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tencent/QQIntl"

function runhelp
{
echo "************************************************************************"
echo "*	Wine-QQ2012-By Longene Team -- build 20120531" 
echo "*	Contact Us By http://www.longene.org" 
echo "*	"
echo "*	Commands:"
echo "*	-u/--uninstall	Uninstall Wine-QQ2012 if you don't like"
echo "*	-d/--debug	Open debug channel. Log file is in your home directory"
echo "*	-h/--help	The rainbows help information as now you are reading"
echo "*	-k/--kill	execute wineserver -k to kill all wine programs"
echo "*	-reg/--regedit	start regedit editor"
echo "*	-cfg/--winecfg	start winecfg"
echo "************************************************************************"
}

function uninstallpackage
{
	echo "* Remove wine-qq2012-longene..."
	read -p "* Are you sure? (Y/N)" ANSW
	if [ "$ANSW" = "Y" -o "$ANSW" = "y" -o -z $ANSW  ];then
		sudo dpkg -P $PACKAGE_NAME
	echo "* Done!"

else 
		exit 0
	fi
}

function check_owner
{
	WINEPREFIX_DIR_USER=`stat -c %U $WINEPREFIX_DIR`	
	if [ "$RUNUSER" != "$WINEPREFIX_DIR_USER" ];then
		sudo chown $RUNUSER $WINEPREFIX_DIR
		echo "*	Modifying the owner of $WINEPREFIX_DIR"
	fi
}

function check_firstrun
{
#	echo "Check firstrun...."	
	if [ ! -e $WINEPREFIX_DIR/firstrun ];then
		echo "* Seems the first time to run. Here we go!"
		$QQ2012_DIR/qq2012_gtk
		echo "Bingoo" >$WINEPREFIX_DIR/firstrun
	fi	
}

function runapp
{
	if [ -e "$WINE_DIR/bin/wine" ];then

if [ -e "$WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program Files/Tencent/QQIntl/Bin/QQ.exe"  ];then
			check_owner
			check_firstrun
			env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/wine  $WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tencent/QQIntl/Bin/QQ.exe

else
			echo "* QQ.exe is not found! Unzip package needed."
			echo "* Unzip ...... Please be patient to wait"
			mkdir -p $HOME/.longene
			tar -zxf $QQ2012_DIR/qq2012.tar.gz -C $HOME/.longene
			echo "* Done, Enjoy it!"
			runapp
		fi
	else
		echo "* Binary file wine is not found! Reinstall the deb package needed."
	fi
}

function debugapp
{
	echo "*	Starting debug channel......."
	echo "*	Log file will be created in your Home:/Longene_qq2012.log"
	echo "*	You can upload the log on our site for help: http://www.longene.org"

#find $LONGENE_DIR -type f -exec $QQ2012_DIR/md5sum {} +  >$HOME/Longene_qq2012.log 
	#echo "*********************************************" >>$HOME/Longene_qq2012.log
	env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/wine $WINEPREFIX_DIR/drive_c/Program\ Files/Tencent/QQIntl/Bin/QQ.exe  >$HOME/Longene_qq2012.log 2>&1
}

case $1 in 
	"--uninstall"| "-u")
		uninstallpackage
		;;
	"--debug"| "-d")
		debugapp
		;;
	"--kill"| "-k")
		env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/wineserver -k
		;;
	"--regedit"| "-reg")
		env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/regedit
		;;
	"--winecfg"| "-cfg")
		env WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX_DIR $WINE_DIR/bin/winecfg
		;;
	"--help"| "-h")
		runhelp
		;;
	*)
		if [ -z $1 ];then		
			runapp
		else
			echo "Invalid option:$1"
			runhelp			
		fi
		;;
esac 
urbexer

Post by urbexer »

I have tried with the qq version you stated but from http://www.longene.org/download

Did you use wineqq or winetm2009?

Were you using linux mint 13 maya?

I am on a single boot 32 bit linux mint 13, no windows install.

Will it also work with the latest version off qqinternational, 1.6?

Sorry for all the questions in advance:)
dumplings

Post by dumplings »

Well, there's been quite a few of us FT's who have been trying to get this tutorial to work for months and months; it just does not work at all. The bloke must have gotten very very lucky indeed if it worked for him- the only purpose that it serves is to get people on a hiding for nothing. I would suggest the tutor tries it again from scratch or delete the tutorial.
urbexer

Post by urbexer »

I really don't know, send the op a PM. And blame Tencent for piss poor linux development and support.
dumplings

Post by dumplings »

I don't really blame QQ or Linux, Urbexer-I mean most Linux users and Westerners have never heard of QQ. QQ themselves are in business to make money, and they won't out of a handful of Linux users. What I don't like is being led up the garden path by tutorials that don't work- well, I suspect the bloke who wrote the tutorial has missed something out and has now washed his hands of it all-I mean to say, you haven't had a reply yet to your questions, now have you, and I don't anticipate getting one either? This tutorial needs deleting to save others from hours of fruitless work. I can't spot one single person who has responded "My word, thank you, it works a dream" unless we are all as thick as shit.
urbexer

Post by urbexer »

Again,respectfully, please PM the OP. I can't help out on this matter, sorry.

My opinion on tencent still stands, they need to release QQ intl for their linux users. Look at the support for chinese users, android is derived from linux, ergo, it cannot be that hard to release a stable linux desktop version, yes?

Good luck,
Urb
dumplings

Post by dumplings »

If the clever chaps who write Linux wanted to entertain QQ they would put pressure to bare to get the source codes or whatever from Tencents, like I imagine they did with skype and stuff. I expect they think that it might encourage virus writers to target Linux; because if there was an equally good QQ for Linux then 50 billion Chinese who presently use fake Windows might take notice and switch to Linux.

Right for those who want a good stable QQ that you can dowload and get package manager to install in Mint or software thingy or package manager in Ubuntu, here is the link. It is stable (never freezes) for live text messages or Q Zone. In Chinese but you soon remember where things are. You dont need any extras with it-it comes with its own wine.

http://www.longene.org/download/WineQQ2 ... ongene.deb
urbexer

Post by urbexer »

I think the version of longene the OP suggests works for qq international.

Again, I just don't see why tencent can't release qq international 1.6 for linux in .deb and .rpm and tar.gz formats.

Chinese users can get android and varying apple versions. I suspect there is a reason why they are shutting the english linux community out, perhaps because they can't load in their dating ads and spyware and soforth.
dumplings

Post by dumplings »

For the sake of a few dozen Linux users who would like to use QQ it is not worth Tencents spending any money to develop, since they are not a charitable institution. The longene QQ does not work with QQIntl-in any event it is not the version the bloke who wrote the tutorial suggests. Maybe the tutorial is merely to attract others who may find a way of getting it to work-i don't know. Half a dozen of us tried to get it to work ,following his instructions. The Tutor seems to have gone missing himself.
urbexer

Post by urbexer »

The longene QQ does not work with QQIntl-in any event it is not the version the bloke who wrote the tutorial suggests. Maybe the tutorial is merely to attract others who may find a way of getting it to work-i don't know. Half a dozen of us tried to get it to work ,following his instructions. The Tutor seems to have gone missing himself.
As I said I managed to get it to work on linux mint 13, but I cannot be sure which version of longene .deb I used. I am pretty certain I just used qq international 1.6 and just extracted the QQIntl folder and just placed it where he said. Again, please pm the OP personally. I do not have a spare pc to try again, and am quite happy with using the fedora based build I am currently using.

Good Luck,
Urban :P
dumplings

Post by dumplings »

Right, this is how you can do it, if your particular computer is compliant- I myself have installed(during the past week) QQIntl1.5 on 3 x32bit Mint 13 machines- it's happy on two of those but keeps crashing on the third. I say it's happy, it is for live messaging, and sending and receiving files without crashing-don't know about Video calls. Right ,do this in terminal;-

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa  
2. sudo apt-get update  
3. sudo apt-get install wine  

Now you have installed wine(the full monty) click on winetricks in apps and install .riched20 and IE7. If asked, do not allow Internet Explorer to update or allow it to be the default. If IE7 does not do the trick you can uninstall it by going through all the hidden files in Home and delete any reference to IE7. If you just ask Linux to uninstall,it won't do a proper job, it will leave troublesome little files around, which will cause you trouble. Then try IE8. One of my machines, I find IE8 is compatible and the other IE7- no rhyme nor reason!

Now install QQIntl1.5(with windows programme loader-right click and you will see it)

When you come to sign into QQ, click the top little window and put your username in-but for the bottom line do not click inside that window or QQ will crash-rather click on the QQ keyboard next to window,-and that's the way you put your password in.

The good news is, is it's all in English and I find it very stable.

Be warned, this is not without risk, and it could be if you are unlucky, you will need to reinstall Linux.
urbexer

Post by urbexer »

Again, blame TENCENT and their laziness and lousy ignorance of English Linux users, and not the OP.
dumplings

Post by dumplings »

Even British BT doesn't think that a handful of Linux users are worth any consideration; if you get a package from them, they will send you your BT-Hub etceteras, and also include a software CD which will only work on Windows- not that i would want BT software to help me connect to Internet and sort out other problems, but I know a lot of newbie Linux users do need help. Will you be complaining about BT as well in future ,or do you just have a manic hatred of all things Chinese? Your post is not appropriate, do you have any questions about my post offering an alternative method of getting QQIntl.exe to work on Linux, if so, I will try and answer?
By the bye, any-body who would be happy with the Chinese version of QQ, that will work on Ubuntu, Linux Mint and others, here is a link for download. Just install this one, you don't even need to install winetricks or alter anything. http://www.longene.org/download/WineQQ2 ... ongene.deb
The audio chat will also work on this one, and the webcam will work but only one way- so you will be able to see the other person. You don't actually need QQ in English, unless you are thick as a plamk you will soon remember where things are.
harharhar

Post by harharhar »

For those who use Pidgin, there is a plugin for QQ available that works quite well. Launchpad PPA can be found here:

https://launchpad.net/~lainme/+archive/pidgin-lwqq
o_unico

Post by o_unico »

I followed the links given by OP, and installed the .deb file.
QQ is working perfectly here. Linux Maya LTS(13)
Thank you.
dumplings

Post by dumplings »

Bully for you, unico- care to elaborate-maybe clarify where you think others might be misunderstanding the instructions, please?

Return to “Tutorials”