Internet sharing over wifi to ipad

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Internet sharing over wifi to ipad

Postby jose76c on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Hello,

I am using Mint 14 Cinamon 64-bit version on Dell Latitude D620. I am trying to share wired internet connection over wifi to ipad, but I am stuck. I got it accidentally working once, but since then no luck. When I switch on the wifi, the green led lights up.

I have tried two ways:

1/ In network settings I click on wireless and "use as hotspot" button. In this case I can get connected (I can see a tick on the network on ipad), but I do not get connected to the internet. Although I have set encryption to WPA2, I am not prompted to enter any password.

2/ I create a new wifi network "ad-hoc" and if I want to connect to this one on ipad, I am prompted to enter the password, but I get "Connection failed" immediately.

Unfortunately I have no other device to test the wifi on. Under Windows xp the wifi is working fine on the same laptop. I don't know what other troubleshooting steps to take so any tips will be more than welcome.

After installation the laptop wifi card was not working at all, but I managed to get broadcom 43xx chip working so as long as I can see the list of other networks available, I believe it is working fine.

Jose
jose76c
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Wireless