Strange Lockup & Unresponsive Desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Strange Lockup & Unresponsive Desktop

Post by Orbmiser »

Happened on 4.9.4 and now on 4.10 backported on Mint 14 KDE
Randomly a few times over the course of a day get no popups on systray no mouse clicks on desktop or able to change of virtual desktop. Just hangs for a full minute kind of thing. The weird part is apps still work can rollup apps or work within them.

But desktop seems to just hangup dead then usually rebounds after a minute. When hung if I Ctrl-Alt-Backspace I get 4 Akonadi errors. I stacked them to show all 4 types.
Akonadi Agent Errors.png
Akonadi Processes.png
Is it Due to gmail plasmoid running in tray and requres Akonaki? But would give it up if having to completely rip out Akonadi? & have disabled Nepomuk to stop desktop locking up. As really for me Don't need those running on my system for what I do on it.

And any direction on tracking down the cause of the temporary lockups Kwin? Akonadia? Nepomuk?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Strange Lockup & Unresponsive Desktop

Post by Orbmiser »

Any Insights? or Leads?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Orbmiser wrote:Any Insights? or Leads?
A quick google shows a stack of bug reports for akonadi_maildispatcher_agent crashing.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep saw those bugs and many are really old and conflicting like unconfirmed, or refer as same another bug # which then has been closed or referencing even another bug # makes for very confusing understanding of current state. And would have thought those fixed by now from last year?

Really want to rip out Akonadi & Nepomuk but will have to read more if possible and the consequences are.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

In my opinion, Akonadi, Nepomuk, and Strigi are the worst features foisted upon KDE4 users. The KDE4 developers must have thought bugs fixes were boring and figured, 'let's do something cool, with really weird names' so that's what we got. To put it bluntly, those programs are Windows like in that they are intertwined within KDE4 and you can't uninstall 2 of the 3. Kmail and Kalarm were two of the best KDE apps that were totally ruined by those programs.

At least we can disable Akonadi and Nepomuk, and uninstall Strigi, if you're not a big PIM guy, without consequences.

To disable Akonadi edit .config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc and change...

StartServer=true

to

StartServer=false

... log out and in again.

Your computer will thanks you and you can still use web based email without problems. BTW, Claws-mail is very similar to kmail and is blazing fast if you need an ISP based email client.

Return to “Software & Applications”