Sound is quieter in Linux Mint than Windows?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sebiale

Sound is quieter in Linux Mint than Windows?

Post by Sebiale »

This is probably a driver issue, or some kind of difference in the Sound software, but to get about the same level of volume in Linux Mint as I do in Windows 7, I have to put the volue quite a bit higher, 10+ increments it seems.
Is that normal?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bu99zy

Re: Sound is quieter in Linux Mint than Windows?

Post by bu99zy »

Sebiale wrote:This is probably a driver issue, or some kind of difference in the Sound software, but to get about the same level of volume in Linux Mint as I do in Windows 7, I have to put the volue quite a bit higher, 10+ increments it seems.
Is that normal?
Try installing PulseAudio Volume Control

Code: Select all

apt install pavucontrol
This will give you the option to have the volume more than 100%, it is also handy for controlling the volume on apps than don't have a volume controller eg browsers like opera especially when watching youtube movies with poor sound, you can turn the volume up more than 100%

I've also noticed the default volume level on browsers is 80%, so even when you have the normal sound control/output device up at 100% it still seems like the volume is much lower.

Last edited by bu99zy on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Sound is quieter in Linux Mint than Windows?

Post by catweazel »

Sebiale wrote:I have to put the volue quite a bit higher, 10+ increments it seems.
The best tip I got today about low sound was this...

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-equalizer
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Sound”