Chrome with Cinnamon

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
casper956

Chrome with Cinnamon

Post by casper956 »

HI,

I installed Chrome, after the installation I see it in the menu for about 2 sec, after that it just dissappear so I can't start it.
It's not even possible to start it from the terminal, I have tried to restart and to reinstall chrome without positive results.

With the update manager i see that there is an extra line to update chrome if there is a newer version (deleted it before I reinstalled it).

Any idea's how to solve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Chrome with Cinnamon

Post by kc1di »

terminal command for starting chrome would be

Code: Select all

google-chrome
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
casper956

Post by casper956 »

tnx, i have tried it but it won't work. i have installed chrome under mate (had to install mate first). After this step chrome worked.
There must be an easier step to do this.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Never had that issue - how did you install Chrome?
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I'm currently using it without issue...
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

Try chromium. It's the same as Windows chrome

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

casper956 wrote:tnx, i have tried it but it won't work. i have installed chrome under mate (had to install mate first). After this step chrome worked.
the command won't work there must have been some error message in the terminal how is chrome installed. from google's download or ppa?

if you installed it from google you may need some added dependancies for mint.
you can always use chromium it's in the repositories under chromium-browser it's basically the same as chrome.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
casper956

Post by casper956 »

kc1di wrote:
casper956 wrote:tnx, i have tried it but it won't work. i have installed chrome under mate (had to install mate first). After this step chrome worked.
the command won't work there must have been some error message in the terminal how is chrome installed. from google's download or ppa?

if you installed it from google you may need some added dependancies for mint.
you can always use chromium it's in the repositories under chromium-browser it's basically the same as chrome.
If I installed it with lmde Mate, I don't have the problem with Chrome (chromium), when I install it in Cinnamon it is succesful without any error messages but in the menu it dissappear in 2 seconds after the installation.
All dependancies are installed for mint lmde that is needed for the browser, as far as I can see, this problem is only Cinnamon related (32 and 64).

I have downloaded it from google.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

In a clean Cinnamon environment there is no issue - your problem must derive from running multiple sessions.
casper956

Post by casper956 »

bimsebasse wrote:In a clean Cinnamon environment there is no issue - your problem must derive from running multiple sessions.
I have installed Chrome after a clean and fresh lmde installation and I have no multiple sessions running
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

This was in the dev/test iso right? If so it shouldn't be reported/posted here because no one but the maintainers and testers are running these iso's. They are not downloadable public. Thus this makes it harder for the members to give support here. If it would have been a RC or Final iso then it would be ok. ;)

I suggest to report it on the Community site and/or contact Clem about this. :)
casper956

Post by casper956 »

Mr. B wrote:This was in the dev/test iso right? If so it shouldn't be reported/posted here because no one but the maintainers and testers are running these iso's. They are not downloadable public. Thus this makes it harder for the members to give support here. If it would have been a RC or Final iso then it would be ok. ;)

I suggest to report it on the Community site and/or contact Clem about this. :)
I have this problem with the test iso and also with the public iso's. That it might not work with the test iso's, i can accept but I have this also with the current release of lmde under Cinnamon. The only thing what I have to do to make it work is to install it under Mate, to my opinion it should work under CInnamon without going to Mate for installation.

I will contact with Clem this afternoon about the test iso's regarding to installation of Chrome.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

casper956 wrote: I have downloaded it from google.
Oupppppppsssssssss fatal error :roll:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Fatal error why?
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

casper956 wrote:HI,

I installed Chrome, after the installation I see it in the menu for about 2 sec, after that it just dissappear so I can't start it.
It's not even possible to start it from the terminal, I have tried to restart and to reinstall chrome without positive results.

With the update manager i see that there is an extra line to update chrome if there is a newer version (deleted it before I reinstalled it).

Any idea's how to solve this?
Hello.
Before install new take all old off from chromium.
I think it's better if load packages from Cinnamon package manager,or use synaptic. Go to MENU there package manager,or synaptic.
Use always packages from Cinnamon,as using it,there are them tested made for same distro.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

bimsebasse wrote:Fatal error why?
1) Because it's chrome and I would raver use IE... :roll:
2) Because it's not in the repo so you know that you could easily have problem... :mrgreen:
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

But it is in the repositories, just not the latest version.
Also, I'm running several applications that aren't in the repos, and I don't have any issues with any of them. In fact, several of the applications that I am running that are in the repositories are ones that I built form source anyway.
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

Killer chromium is in the mint 14 cinnamon repos. He decided to download it from Google which can cause an error hence why mint cinnamon comes with the repos

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Programs aren't unsafe just because they aren't in the official repos. I've added the Chrome repo and it works flawlessly on Mint 14 Cinnamon.

"I don't like Crome" is fiercely irrelevant, uninteresting and unhelpful in a support thread.
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

Bimbase, I was saying that it has been tested and know to work on our version of the distro. Hence why they are included in the repos.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “LMDE Archive”