install proprietary graphics driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
free.dom

install proprietary graphics driver

Post by free.dom »

Hello to everyone and thanks for doing such a good job helping here!

After hours of searching (I feel so stupid, but I just have no clue and didn't find nothing) I'm so far that I have to ask here. I guess it is very simple, so simple that I nowhere found an answer, but how do I install a proprietary driver in Mint 14 Nadia XFCE?

I am using an Asus netbook of the eeePC series with an Intel Atom N455 processor (one of these tiny Dualcores). Now I read here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_1005P (yes I know this is for Archlinux) that you can improve performance by installing the proprietary driver https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?nam ... ideo-intel . Can I also use this driver for my Mint? If not is there a propr... for my.Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: install proprietary graphics driver

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

I don't think you'll need to install anything if you use intel.. It should be works just fine by default. CMIIW, Intel driver is included on the kernel, so if you want to see if there any driver update, just upgrade your kernel.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lahirdenganselamat wrote:if you want to see if there any driver update, just upgrade your kernel.
<facepalm>

Rubbish.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

free.dom wrote:you can improve performance by installing the proprietary driver https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?nam ... ideo-intel . Can I also use this driver for my Mint? If not is there a propr... for my.Mint?
Unfortunately it seems you sent yourself on a wild goose chase. I don't see how you managed to identify those drivers as proprietary, because they're not. They are open source xorg drivers. That said, Mint should automatically detect your video card and configure it properly.

Of course that assumes the video card isn't an Intel/AMD hybrid. If it is, you'll have to disable the AMD in BIOS and rely solely on the Intel video because AMD do not support the hybrid configuration in linux. I did some googling and couldn't find a definitive answer for you after a few minutes as to whether it was hybrid or not. It's something you're going to have to research, or wait for someone else to do all the googling and reading for you :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
Rubbish.
Why is that??
free.dom

Post by free.dom »

It's not that I didn't do research on my own... As I said I was googling for about 2 hours for a driver, how to instal, ... but I really did not find something useful. The Archlinux-wiki said that these drivers are proprietary, but if they are not then i guess there just are no proprietary drivers for my on-processor graphics..

The only thing why I am asking, as it was said that everything should work fine, is that I have definitely a better performance with Win7 when it comes to HD-Videos. They are just lagging here (Flash), but up to 468px everythng is fine.. And in Win even HD-Quality is possible. Also programs, which are using the graphics a lot are lagging in my Mint (usually programs, which use OpenGL/DirectX) - CPU goes up to 80-100%

PS/EDIT: Nope, its not a hybrid AMD/Intel card as far as I can say.. It has the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3150 chip in the processor.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

The Intel GMA 3150 is an entry-level integrated GPU with quite poor performances (OpenGL 1.4 only, for instance). Don't expect miracles, though.
free.dom

Post by free.dom »

eanfrid wrote:The Intel GMA 3150 is an entry-level integrated GPU with quite poor performances (OpenGL 1.4 only, for instance). Don't expect miracles, though.
Sure.. I know and I don't expect miracles from it.. But I am wondering why these things run faster in Win7 than in Mint..?? So I thought this maybe is a driver issue..

Ok anyway thanks for your help guys, at least I am smarter than before!
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

You can check your display config by running in a terminal

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
if you see "llvmpipe" somewhere, there is something wrong with driver loading.
free.dom

Post by free.dom »

Then everything should be fine ;).
So explanation is?? The driver Mint is using is at some point slower than the prorpietary driver from Intel for Windows? Or is it more an issue of OpenGL/DX applications?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

For older GPU I think that the Intel drivers are now of equal value under either environment in 2D but - I may be wrong - IMO DirectX still does more magic than OpenGL in 3D whatever the platform is :)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”